DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving from Nice into the mountains

Posted by Pilz - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by teen-14236 - 5 years ago

Good vet in St Martin,(she looks after the wolf park too), she's great with our kitties!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pilz - 5 years ago

Thank you, yes I am planning a few trips to get some ideas. Am pleasantly pleased to see the bus journey is only 1 Euro each way. All the photos and videos of all these quaint little villages look like paradice, it is hard to choose which one I like the look of more. Though, me being a mad cat lady, having a vets is a must so that narrows it down some :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kentish maid-243236 - 5 years ago

I think teen is right, if you want to live in the mountains, the locals will accept you, it's not like living with loads of other ex-pats, and there is a lot going on if you want to find it.

We too live away from the hustle & bustle, the roads are always kept clear (except when it's obviously a white day) , most people don't have 4x4 s, they just leave the car near to the road if snow is around.  Winter tyres help, we have a set that is on from Nov to March, plus chains, but we hardly ever need them.

Go for a trip around the arriere pays in the winter, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pilz - 5 years ago

Thank you that is lovely feedback, especially about the snow, was picturing myself stranded for a few months a year, kind of liked the idea in a way. I am fluent in French so no problem with that and am not involved with any English community here apart from this site so I don't expect to meet other English folk.  :)

That is nice that you felt welcome straight away, my folks live in a medieval town in SW France and I am imagining there will be a lot of similarities. Be nice to feel safer and have some peace and quiet :) The main thing I am looking forward to is being able to take a walk for the sake of a walk without being harrassed by men on the prowl targetting women on their own!

Sorry no image available

Forgot to say, we were made to feel incredibly welcome from the start!

Sorry no image available

We have lived in the Vesubie  for 10 years and are very happy. Snow has never been a problem, roads are well tended. There is plenty going on, as long as you make an effort. I would say French is essential as there are few English in the Valley, those who live here all speak good French. Roquebilliere is a growing village in lots of ways, much more a normal village than St. Martin, which is very pretty but also very "touristique". 

Let me know if you want further info!