DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Moving to France / Living in France

Posted by chivers-191163 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dexter-189875 - 14 years ago

anne - france thank you for your words about the "agent".... my french other half is a property negotiator / agent is straight, honest and hard working, he goes out of his way to help people (just found someone to help transport a horse to here from the UK after the owner had been let down several times), so (not so nice and sunny)PLEASE don't knock the agents, they're not all bad and can save you a lot of heart ache over things you may not have foreseen yourself.

Sorry no image available
Posted by anne-france - 14 years ago

Nice and Sunny,

agent parasitic homo sapien; that could not find a real job in his homeland now living in the south of france preying on honest hardworking people.

Aren't you being a little harsh here? I think that PDG is right: get a good estate agent. There are good and bad in all walks of life, but a good estate agent will find you property that is not otherwise available, and let's face it most property is only available through an estate agent.

And beware, private sellers can be just as dishonest as estate agents, without a "good name" to keep at the end of the day.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nicked - 14 years ago

You don't mention much about yourself but I think supergrasse has raised some important points. Stay close to a town! Unless your a hermit, winter once the tourists have gone can be depressing and scarily quiet in those gorgeous summer locations not to mention dull. do you speak french? that's your first task and opens up the door to a whole new world, new ways of thinking and it's fun! Also depending on your circumstances and level of french, look for somewhere where you can play a part in the community is important, volunteering etc; Do you belong to any clubs in the UK with french counterparts? Lions or the british legion for example, if you do have a look at their locations, you might see somewhere you like! The french are no (not much anyways!!) different from the english, you get back what you put in but you need to be in a place were you can do it! nicked

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice_and_sunny2 - 14 years ago

Sorry that was "do the research yourself" and use this forum.  ask questions about an area and you will get an honest answer.

Ask an agent and you will get a sales pitch.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice_and_sunny2 - 14 years ago

my tip of buying:

avoid the agents as much as possible. do the reach yourself and dedicate a lot of time to it.

agent parasitic homo sapien; that could not find a real job in his homeland now living in the south of france preying on honest hardworking people.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 14 years ago

Three bits of advice before buying:

Get a good agent who knows the area:

Get a good building surveyor (get rid of any agent who says you don't need one).

Don't take on builders that you don't know: always get several quotes, make sure that they are insured and see their previous work.

Then enjoy your new life.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SuperGrasse - 14 years ago

After 8 years in France I think the most important thing is to be near a big town. French villages are great in the Summer but are scarily quiet in the Winter. Big towns are also necessary for registering your car/house/boat/gerbil which you will have to do and should have a decent hospital.

SG