DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Murano glass

Posted by SJ-190944 - Created: 10 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dido-203783 - 10 years ago

The shop in Rue Amiral de Grasse in Grasse that has already been mentioned is called Quatremains. Although it does have repro painted things like wine caskets, it does have genuine and beautiful Murano glass jewellery. I went there a couple of weeks ago and they had just got in new stock from Murano. They buy directly from the artisans who make it and give a guarantee that it is genuine. The couple who run the shop are very knowledgeable about it and are very kind (I told them I was replacing items that had been recently stolen and they gave me a matching necklace and earrings set as a gift). Necklace prices are around 50/60 euros and glass hearts to put on a ribbon or chain are 15/20 Euros - they make lovely presents. They have a web-site www.quatremains.fr which has pictures of a couple of necklaces. I have no connection with this shop, but after having been looked after so nicely I just had to recommend them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Liz Lord-193061 - 10 years ago

Frederic of Vitraux Arpeca Spatium in Sainte Agnes has some beautiful stuff - some pendants but also lovely tasteful decorative stuff!

Not a commercial interest here!!

Liz

Sorry no image available
Posted by fvo-205381 - 10 years ago

Don't forget: Murano glass, even in Murano, is often imported from Poland.I have several beautiful Polish pieces (vases) and probably couldn't ell the difference except for the sticker."Better to remain silent and risk being thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Sorry no image available
Posted by SJ-190944 - 10 years ago

We've been to La Verrerie in Biot and it's not really what I'm looking for for my mother. Come to think of it, though, there are shops in the middle of the village that sell glass jewellery and the like. Perhaps I'll find something there. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DebInskip - 10 years ago

You might like to try Biot. There is a good glass place (glass-blowing in front of customers) just on the Route de Biot, having gone past Marineland, on the the right hand side on the way to Biot. They do jewellery, plates, glasses etc.

Hope you find something you like, Deborah

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fanchi - 10 years ago

I think that shop in Grasse you're talking about has mostly repro stuff - but the one opposite it on the left as you go up rue Amiral de Grasse has a genuine murano chandelier in it, but doesn't sell jewelry.

Sorry no image available
Posted by George F - 10 years ago

There's a shop in Grasse on the way up rue Amiral de Grasse on the right hand side. Can't remember what it's called but it is small and has antiques type stuff as well as jewellery which appears to be Murano.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SJ-190944 - 10 years ago

Great idea, but maybe another time, when I have the time. For now, I need somewhere in the area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Shanwick - 10 years ago

Murano! It's only a 4 hour drive.