DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Naples from Nice

Posted by lareveuse - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lareveuse - 15 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Think I am a whim too when it comes to driving and if I were to drive to Naples, I'd probably arrive a nervous wreck and too tired to enjoy the holiday. Found on opodo.fr that if I were to fly indirect and change planes at Rome it will be 100 euros cheaper, 245 euros per person, journey time 3.5 hours. Think I will opt for this way of transport plus am pretty keen to travel by the ferry services while I am there to see the other villages Capri, Sorrento, Positano and Ravello. Prob less stressful option than worrying if the car gets nicked or parking. Trying to pick the best place to stay now.Has anyone stayed in Capri and is it worth staying one night as I've read that after the day trippers are gone the place is magical.

Sorry no image available
Posted by shining star - 15 years ago

Hi

I can't comment on the drive, but agree with Mike re where to stay.  The Amalfi coast is stunningly beautiful, but it is packed in the season.  Even so, I would choose any of the nicer resorts as a home base (Amalfi,Positano, Sorrento etc) and then make a leisurely itinerary to visit Capri, Ravello - anywhere along that route.  It has been a few years since I was there, but I found the local bus services excellent and much less stressful than driving!  But that is down to personal preference and not being a complete wimp like me . . .   whichever way you do it, you will have a great time, it is the most beautiful part of the world IMO.

shining star x

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

It's over a decade since I did the drive, but it took eight or nine hours.

It's 880Km each way, and the autoroute/autostrada tolls are €53.70 each way, so that's worth considering when budgeting. However, you will probably have to rent a car at the other end if you fly/take the train, so...

If you're into the classical stuff, then both Paestum and Herculaneum mustn't be missed, along with Pompeii.

Personally I'd give both Naples and Sorrento a miss when chosing a base, and instead go for somewhere - Maiori, say - on the Amalfitine coast. Cleaner, friendlier, a lower incidence of handbag-snatching and the like (remember that Naples is the sort of place where they steal hubcaps off moving cars...), and nice beaches/restaurants etc...

And a week or ten days sounds about right!

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane1 - 15 years ago

Hi, drove from Florence to villefranche via the coast road, took about 4 hours, road was very busy, italian drivers as bad if not worse than french, lots of tunnels, not the best of journeys, naples, I think is about a days drive from Florence. Hope this helpslynnette