Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Need an American adapter plug?

Posted by Pele-196336 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 13 years ago

I brought my laptop over, and like most others, it's dual-voltage, so all I did was buy just the adapter plug from La Foir Fouille for about 50 centimes. 


Sorry no image available
Posted by ruby-197471 - 13 years ago

I saw these today in the carrefour in Lingostiere...you have an electrical section there and there were only about 2 left but they do stock them

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pele-196336 - 13 years ago

Its set up with a voltage transformer set at 210volts which then goes to the 'broken' American multi-plug box which has the monitor and harddrive plugged into it. So in theory the computer should not 'go up in smoke'. I think this is right?

Thanks for your help.I'll pop down to the shop at the port.



Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

If this is a laptop it will almost certainly be dual-voltage but check underneath on the plate - 110/220 VAC 50/60 Hrtz.

There is a very good electrical ship in Place des Pins, near the Port of Nice which will have adaptor plugs or Lyvio's in Antibes.



Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 13 years ago

You can cut the ends of and rewire them with french plugs BUT are you sure it is an extyension block and not a step down transformer? US runs on 110v and Europe run on 240v - your computer may go up in smoke if it gets the wrong voltage.
***Google is our friend. ***