DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

network printers

Posted by fugly-185614 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fugly-185614 - 14 years ago

can you, on a windows 2003 network set up a network printer to work without a server being on?  Would the printer have to go straight through the router/switch?  Or does the server have to be on (as it is a print server and this, I thought was the whole point of a print server)

Sorry no image available

yeah, that was the good thing.  The person that I was setting it up for wanted to be able to access the internet (home network) without the server beeing on.  Although the server does not have to be on to access the internet you can not print without the server beeing on.  Some small problems I had was my own stupidity.  I could not get the printer drivers to set up on the other machines but soon resolved that by giving the user more rights.  Everything else works well.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alain-182671 - 14 years ago

I think SBS said to use strong passwords and asked if it should set up the policy for me, I replied no and set it up myself. The Server only has one NIC so I decided to handle the VPN and Firewall through a BeWan 6210 (I think it was), works perfectly and very easy to set up, plus workstations don’t have to go through the Server to get internet access.

Sorry no image available

Only problem I hade was that I had to reinstall everything as Dell had F... up the preinstalled software, but after that everything worked fine. What problems did you have?

Sorry no image available

the passwords I had to set up got a little complicated though.  sbs 2003 says that all users have to have capitalisation, numeration and punctuation all in one password without using the user name.

Sorry no image available

mainly with the printers (and of course the person that wanted it doing) because I was not starting fresh (the network was already setup, just did not work) I found leads were they should not have been and all sorts.  No probs with the vpn, dns, wireless, dhcp or anything else really (apart from the spec which was a bit weird).  It is all set up now and running smoothly.

Sorry no image available

Only problem I hade was that I had to reinstall everything as Dell had F... up the preinstalled software, but after that everything worked fine. What problems did you have?

Sorry no image available

did you have any probs with it?

Sorry no image available

Hi Fugly, I have just setup a SBS 2003 Server with VPN and WIFI

Sorry no image available

problem solved.  Anyone else using windows server 2003?