DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Neuf Internet Haut Debit

Posted by eileen18 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jaaaine - 13 years ago

Hi Eilleen18, how are things going with le Neuf now? alright? I'm thinking of signing up with them, but still hesitating...

Sorry no image available
Posted by eileen18 - 13 years ago

yes you're right! It's really complicated! I signed for the telephonie neuf in the end. i was sort of forced to as otherwise they charge 5 euros more per month and apparently i get 2 hours of free calls by signing up! so hopefully that includes short phone calls too and hopefully i've read all the asterisks properly!! Thanks for your help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

quote:Does France Telecom also have this and if not is Neuf still cheaper if you make relatively short phone calls?

No, FT doesn't have this because the 'mise en relation' bit is the additional bridging surcharge between the FT network and Neuf's. What FT does have, however, is a 'crédit temps' i.e. a minimum fixed charge for the first n seconds as well as differing rates for peak and off-peak calls, which Neuf does not.

So which is cheaper??!  Well, I believe you're quite right in suspecting that short calls with Neuf will cost more than FT's because of this 12cts surcharge. Taking Neuf's flat charge per minute and the bridging surcharge into account versus FT's 'crédit temps' for the first minute, I make it that peak local calls become cheaper with Neuf after roughly 2'35" of call, local off-peak after 5'13", national peak after 1'40", national off-peak after 2'17"... etc.

In practice, however, much depends on your personal habits, e.g. you can "lose" 4 cents on a one-minute call but "gain" 26 cents on a six-minute peak national call, so you'll have to analyse your telephone habits a lot more deeply in order to get your answer!  And all this is without taking into account both companies' "unlimited" deals or FT's multitude of other discount schemes ('Heures Locales /Mobiles /France /Europe, Primaliste', etc. ..)

The trouble with all these clever deals, I find, is that you probably need a master's degree in chaos theory to work out each time which telephone company/mobile operator/ISP is the "best" for you ... and just when you think you've cracked it and go for it, they go and invent a whole new offer that can overnight make your previous 'deal-of-the-century' look like an expensive lame duck ...or you embark on a relationship with someone in another county which totally alters your carefully computed cost-pattern of your monthly 'phone calls!  No, you can never win for sure, I say!

Makes me wonder how much time people have to spend in this high-tech competitive world of ours, increasingly stressing about whether they're personally losing out or not, whilst fending off the gowing army of white-lie telemarketeers ...and it's not going to get any better, is it?!

Sorry no image available

The 12month thing is not a problem as I don't need the line for more than 12 months, one of the reasons why I chose Neuf. I noticed on the prices they show for phone calls that there is a cost of 'mise en relation' of 12cts for landline calls and of 22-29 cts for calls to mobile phones. Does France Telecom also have this and if not is Neuf still cheaper if you make relatively short phone calls?

Sorry no image available

Yes, as long as you keep your FT line (for which you will continue to pay the bi-monthly abonnement charge) you can keep the FT options you have. It's only your outgoing calls that will automatically get routed via Neuf if you sign up for this (that's what they mean by "préselection 9") and thus trigger a separate bill from Neuf for these call charges, rather than you seeing them come up on your FT bill. No, there is no extra monthly charge on top for this. 

I had a look at their 1Mega offer on the Neuf site and noticed however that the 14.90 rate is only held for 12 months: after that it rises to €19.90 [guaranteed maximum price 12 months from now].  And if you don't opt for their telephony option, these rates would be €19.90 and €24.90 respectively. 

Yes, it works out cheaper if you go with Neuf's 'phone option although you may find that the audio quality of your line drops sometimes. The reason it's cheaper is that they're desperate to compete in the recently deregulated telecomms market, to take customers away from FT and to build up their subscription list: at one point they will attempt to lock their customers in with an all-in-one ADSL+Telephone+Television subscription, so the more services you take from them now, the closer they get..

Sorry no image available

So if I do sign up for the Neuf telephonie (seems like i have to as I don't want to pay 5euros extra/month and their phone calls are cheaper anyway), do I pay anything extra for it or will i still be paying just 14.90/month? And will I be able to keep all the france telecom options I have, such as presentation du nom, answer phone...? 

Sorry no image available

Hi eileen: No, the telephony part is not free, but it is typically cheaper than FT for local and national calls. You should find their rates on the Neuf website. Yes, you have to pay €5 per month extra for the ADSL part if you don't take the telephony part.  It's just their way of trying very hard to sell you their complete offer!  It's all in the small print !! - you'll find that the €14.90 only applies if you take their telephone offer as well, if not it'll be €19.90/month - bit of a con, really, I know, but in France they seem to love hiding the real price of things and you should ALWAYS be wary of little asterisks next to any prices.  But basically, you don't have to take them up on the telephony offer unless you want to, so make sure you don't sign up if you don't want it!  You'll find that international 'phone calls are cheaper with other operators like Tele2 or Telerabais - there are plenty of threads on this elsewhere on this forums (do a forum search!)