DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New Computer Power Supply Unit.

Posted by Aroncb - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 16 years ago

Sorry for the late arrival, but I only just picked up on this thread and found it very spooky indeed. MY power supply gave up the ghost about three weeks ago too. Not only that, but a friends PSU died in the same week! they had an onduleur so it probably wasn't a spike in their case. Theirs was a fairly meaty machine but a poorly specified supply, so that's more likely to be the cause.

I just used my incident as an excuse to build a whizzo new PC :-)

The bits and pieces for the new machine came from Computer Center at 18 Ave Thiers near the Gare S.N.C.F in Nice. They were well stocked, had reasonable prices and the chap I spoke to in the shop seemed quite knowledgable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 16 years ago

I've had a UPS hook up at home for the last 3 years since some autumnal storms spike fried all the computers in the Port of Nice. If you are running with everything on , you have about 10 minutes of battery power to enable shutting down without damage , but principally it's there to prevent spike damage and milli second power cuts during thunderstorms . It cost about £70 in Nice - I think in French they call them Onduleurs . If you haven't got one you could be looking at serious damage to your computer hardware ( especially as there seems to be more electrical supply problems in Europe than previously !! )stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 16 years ago

Odd - I had not finished...

Anyway Intel Active monitor warned me of voltage fluctuations recently. I should have checked it out.  A failing power supply can apparently damage other internal electronics.  Although it went down the same night that Italy also went down I think it was coincidence.

I have everything surge protected.  Don't forget you need to do this to your modem cable too. 

Thanks for all help now resolved...

Sorry no image available

Maybe you are right dutch - But power supply units only have an average life span of 20,000 hours or two years.  Hence they need replacement - especialiy if under heavy load in hot weather - The price we pay for living here... 

Having done more research it could resolve some issues I had with my PC - instability occasionally.

Power supplys are often overlooked but are important part of PC. DEspite the assurances of the french guy in the Cogolin PC shop (Next to Le Clerc.)  Not all PSU's are the same. 

You should look at the "Yellow"  DC in value which should be a higher figure - especially if you have lots of high tech in box stuff training power.  My PC was 15A -- I tried a 300W 12A power supply and wasn't good enough to run all my PC.  Ideally you need over 15A for a good new machine.  Intel Active

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 16 years ago

Are you using a surge protector? If there was a power spike, you could end up with a fried unit. I had one go earlier this year.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by talldutch - 16 years ago

Something is going on.

My powersupply packed up too, and a friend of mine had his go out on nearly the same day.

Maybe a hardware worm, or else it is too much of a coincidence for me !

Autumn is always a favourite virus-period.

Jos.

Sorry no image available
Posted by talldutch - 16 years ago

Something is going on.

My powersupply packed up too, and a friend of mine had his go out on nearly the same day.

Maybe a hardware worm, or else it is too much of a coincidence for me !

Autumn is always a favourite virus-period.

Jos.

Sorry no image available

thanks SG I'l check those out.

Sorry no image available

Or look on www.apcc.com and follow through .stgeorge

Sorry no image available

Try Interactive , 30, Rue Beaumont , 06300 NICE. Tel. 04 92 002066 , or Infobis , Rue Arson.stgeorge