DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New Glasses

Posted by amj-196349 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

That is, of course, rubbish, unless one of your eyes is exceptionally weak or requires a high degree of correction for astigmatism or something. Even so that sounds high. Most people have one eye weaker than the other,  we are not symmetrical beings in any way!

One of my eyes is long sighted, one is near sighted. Last time I had them tested one optician tried to sell me fancy designer glasses, Visagie or something, the cost of which, with the lenses, would have come to over €600! The SS pay a paltry amount and my Mutuelle would have paid a substantial amount of the balance leaving me to pay 'only' €200 out of my beer money.  I found a perfectly satisfactory pair (well,  they broke as above after a year of fairly rough use including being sat on and dropped many times) for €180.

Last time I was in South Africa, I went into an optician with the prescription and got another pair for the equivalent of €120. SA is cheap you might say, but that is not a valid argument because the frames and the lense materials, and all the equipment to make the lenses, are imported. Simply that here you are paying for greed, inefficiency, high social charges and abuse, there you aren't.

Our Mutuelle allow us to have a new pair of frames and lenses every year, most people take advantage, and it really is taking advantage, of this, to get fancy glasses every year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Happy Days-188415 - 13 years ago

The highest quote I have received from an opticians here has been 420 euros and that is for normal glasses rather than designer. The reason that I was given is that one eye is much weaker than than the other and therefore requires special glasses....I have worn glasses for the last 10 years or so and have never heard that!! I think shopping around is well advisable!

Sorry no image available
Posted by amj-196349 - 13 years ago

My sunglasses are beyond fixing but I know what you mean.

Last time I had to change my lenses I wanted to keep the same frame because

a) there was nothing wrong with it and

b) I liked it.

I had a hard job convincing the optician to do it and I could imagine there may be technical reasons why it wasn't a good idea but I got my way in the end and they lasted an extra 4 years.

I was pleased, him less so.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Why won't they fix anything here?

The little plastic piece on the bridge of my prescription driving glasses broke off (the bit that sits on the side of your nose).  I went to the optician who supplied them a year ago  to ask if it could be fixed.  'No',  but you can get a new pair on the SS (€ 320). 

I went to another optician to ask if it could be fixed.  'Yes - € 80' (a figure which I think corresponded with the amount he planned to spend that night on his girlfriend who was (rather decoratively I must admit) leaning over the counter whispering sweet nothings into his ear.

"Will the SS pay this amount," I asked.

"Of course not, but you can get a new pair and they will pay for that ......"

And then we wonder why the SS is going bust and the Mutuelles are charging a fortune.

Sorry no image available
Posted by amj-196349 - 13 years ago

Thanks for that information, Happy Days. I need prescription sunglasses too as I broke mine in the Summer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Happy Days-188415 - 13 years ago

Hi amj,

I have been looking too and found the cheapest quote that I recieved was from the opticians in Geant in Mandelieu. They had a number of forfaits such as 49 euros for prescription sunglasses.

Happy Days