DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New layout

Posted by soundsalike - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Neil Clarke - 5 years ago

Hi everyone,

Yes it's been a bit trying for us to adapt to the changes. It seems that all the regional sites have changed in a similar way and there are loads of postings for and against.

I suggest persevering with the new site(s) otherwise we could lose what is an excellent facility for English speakers in France.

When you encounter a problem, e-mail the management directly so they can do something about it quickly rather than reading loads of general complaints. By all means air your views by posting here as well.

Regards,

Neil

Sorry no image available
Posted by molly57 - 5 years ago

sour grapes ?  Don't understand.  From who? To who?

Sorry no image available
Posted by trae1107 - 5 years ago

Well, I'm an advertiser and haven't noticed any decrease in traffic - yet. Saying that, I don't think the general layout is as bright and colourful as before. It all looks a bit dull in comparison and the business directory certainly isn't as much "in your face" as before, which, as an advertiser, isn't great.

I am, however, getting used to it - the Forum/Discussions is pretty much the same as before, just a little duller in Font and style. The weather's still there, Movies, etc etc

I'm not really convinced that changing it was either necessary or a good thing but I certainly wouldn't unregister as the site is still very useful, as it always was. Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me!

Sorry no image available
Posted by hermosabeach - 5 years ago

Breath of Fresh Air - New posts listing specific things that don't work are not taking away traffic.  What is taking away traffic is the fact that the discussions and classifieds sections still don't work!  it is not just about cascading menus.  The notifications by email are no longer complete (before, they listed who replied and also the title of the topic with a working link to the topic) and only work on some of the topics.  It is hard to stay interested and patient when it has been several weeks and the most basic of functions still doesn't work.  Those of us who are still here are those that want AI to succeed!

And, Molly57 - I completely agree this has to do with the web designer and an incompetent change.  Unfortunately, as is common in this part of the world, I haven't heard once an acknowledgment that the classified and discussions sections aren't (yet) working as well as before.  A simple "We are sorry it isn't as smooth as we had hoped.  We are trying to make it better." would make a lot of people happy.   Instead, we only hear "Stick with us and get used to the changes. Other people like the changes. Even though the site doesn't work, it is prettier."  As I have said before, it is sad...

Sorry no image available
Posted by molly57 - 5 years ago

well said ameri-cannes.  I'm also fed up with those that blame the user for being negative and losing traffic on site rather than the web designer who has lost the traffic on this site because of an incompetent change.  There is choice out there (as is freedom of speech!) and if the site owners don't realise that its up to them to attract users rather than persuade them to stay - well, gone dreadfully wrong somewhere................ 

Sorry no image available
Posted by ameri-cannes - 5 years ago

"I wish that those who can't find their way around because it's new would be patient and discover slowly, because every new post that says the new site is rubbish takes away traffic, therefore creating a self-fulfilling prophecy."

Personally MY "self-fulfilling prophecy" would be to see the AI I have known and loved for many years show a little concern and respect for the thoughts and opinions of the many, many contributors and advertisers who have played such a huge role in making this site the major success it has been. In case you hadn't noticed, most of us are more sad than angry over what's happening here. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Earthling-217786 - 5 years ago

I would like to see on AI some positive feedback from actual paying commercial advertisers stating statistics indicating how much positive feedback they have received from potential new  clients since the recent 'update' .

Sorry no image available
Posted by A Breath of Fresh Air - 5 years ago

Now that the cascading menus in the Classifieds left menu bar have been set to open already cascaded, I find the layout more informative and intuitive than before.  I wish that those who can't find their way around because it's new would be patient and discover slowly, because every new post that says the new site is rubbish takes away traffic, therefore creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Louisa