DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New vacuum cleaner - consumer rights?

Posted by Nona-185684 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nona-185684 - 14 years ago

Consider it printed and rehearsed. Thanks again.Nona

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 14 years ago

And Nona,

The officialeese to quote is:

Un produit bénéficie d’une garantie légale. Si le client s’aperçoit d’un vice caché, le vendeur est obligé, selon l’article 1641 du Code civil, d’abaisser le prix, d’échanger le produit ou de rembourser le client.

So there you go!! (wish I could be there . . . . . . . . )

Please do let us know . . . . . .

[...EMBEDDEDIMAGE...] Regards, Les

Sorry no image available

Thanks Les,

I do find that my french now improves when my temper rises and that I can do quite a good line in arguments so short of any other tips from well wishers, come down to Boulanger on Sat lunchtime for the floor show...

Nona

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 14 years ago

Ok Nona,

As you have thrown down the gauntlet . . . . . . .

Firstly, I dont know French consumer law but under English law you would be entitled to a refund as in "unfit for purpose". Whatever the law says the point is that even in the UK you can often recieve a frosty reception when returning goods as being useless. The essential is therefore to adopt the Les approach . . . . . . But here this will depend on your command of French . . . . . .

Return to the store and discretely choose your preferred replacement item, (personally I have used the Dyson range since launched and find their product and customer service excellent)

Go Back to the store on SATURDAY, one hour before lunch if they close, or otherwise during a busy time and ALWAYS well dressed.

Take the offending item with you and all paperwork and packaging, if possible.

Position yourself strategically in front of the tills area.

Politely demand to see the responsable and with all your paraphenalia and preferably multiple family and friends milling around with boxes in hand to look like customers ensure the tills grind to a halt.

Explain to the manager that the item you have bought is useless and that you wish to exchange it for a.n.other item, ensuring that you do not get ushered away from the till area. Remain polite but firm that you will accept nothing less than the exchange and will not move until satisfied. Sympathise with him/her that their job is not an easy one and that you have nothing personal against them (even if their halitosis and B.O. have you clutching for support !!) but explain that neither is your "job" easy with this useless pile of . . . . . . . *!@#

Any busy shop will normally give in quickly - especially if there are numerous people waiting to pay and Dinner looms!

Always works for me . . . . . . . . . . . . you can tell them i'm a personal friend if it helps . . . . . . .

Please let us know how you get on !!

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available

I'm surprised, it's not like you lot not to have a suggestion on how best to handle this, even if it's just to put up with it and get a new one from the UK!!

Help...

Nona