DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

New Worm:W32 blaster.worm

Posted by Tony Miller - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 15 years ago

Well ... here we are a couple of months down the track.  Had reformatted my computer within the last couple of days and hadn't yet got around to re-installing this anti-virus patch.

And yep - woopee dooey and glory behold ... guess what we awoke to this morning!  The worm installed itself on the recently reformatted computer - and then also infected the 2nd computer through the home network.  Over 700 files now corrupted!

Oh what fun !*#?!!

xx. A

Sorry no image available
Posted by Matilda-184496 - 15 years ago

Unfortunately the Worm Blaster got me good and proper - I think I must've been one of the first people infected because there was no alert out when my computer first began to crash with the RPC alert message & it was undetected by my anti-virus programme!  In the meantime I did irretrievable damage to my files by continuing to log on and trying to unistall and install XP windows - a fatal error!  Anyway I lost everything and despite good professional help from an excellent technician there was no luck in retrieving any of my files.  Needless to say, up & running again having had to start from scratch with patch firmly in place - better late than never & wil learn to back up in future!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Phil Champ - 15 years ago

GLOBALROOT/DEVICE/CDROM/I386

is the directory i386 on your installation CD.

Phil

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 15 years ago

quote:the computer is asking for GLOBALROOT/DEVICE/CDROM/1386 - does anyone know what this is and where I can get it ?id=quote>I'm no Windows expert, but I do seem to remember that most of the installation files are stored in an I386 subdirectory on the CD-ROM. Try looking in D:\I386 (or E:\I386, or whatever drive letter you use for your CD-ROM).

Sorry no image available
Posted by delboy_trading - 15 years ago

Thanks for the qoute, either way download now or update at the weekend, that leaves a few days in between?.............

D.B.T

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 15 years ago

quote:They say the patch really should be installed before FRIDAY of this week as this is the expected day when the infection will be at its highest.id=quote>The main reason that the patch should be applied by Friday is that all infected machines will attempt to perform a DDoS on windowsupdate.com on Saturday, so once that's underway it will be probably be very difficult to download the patch.

Sorry no image available

The best way to try and reinstall your xp, if you are stuck in boot is to remove all partitions from your hard-drive and start from the very begining, if you have a Windows 98 start up disk you can use that, but i must warn you to make sure you know what you are doing before playing around! Data maybe recoverable but don't count on it!

This Virus is keeping me busy re-installing and repairing infected computers! They say the patch really should be installed before FRIDAY of this week as this is the expected day when the infection will be at its highest.

Re-installations and repairs availible just email using the above link.

D.B.T

Sorry no image available
Posted by Matilda-184496 - 15 years ago

HELP I have been hit by the dreaded virus so presently using steam-driven computer!

Stupidley I didn't realise that is was a virus and merrily tried to re-install my Windows XP Pro - the problem is that I am now stuck half way thought set up and can't get out, I've tried everything - the computer is asking for GLOBALROOT/DEVICE/CDROM/1386 - does anyone know what this is and where I can get it ?

I spent 1/2 an hour to Microsoft and got cut off in mid conversation.

Can anyone help at all?

Sorry no image available

M.E users should be fine as it is a 98 based system, the worm only attacks NT based systems

D.B.T

Sorry no image available
Posted by Canteloupe - 15 years ago

I have read that ME users are also at risk. Anyone else heard that?

Canteloupe