DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Nice aggression

Posted by ilight - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

My friend was attacked in broad daylight near the construction work at place massena park, by 3 guys a couple of days ago. They wanted his sunglasses. He is getting surgery for his broken nose tomorrow.

Just coming home tonight, in my doorway, 2 guys were attacking a stranger fighting over a bag, and my presence scared them off. The guy was in poor shape.

Is this a coincidence or is this city getting uglier by the day?

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mollie-182222 - 13 years ago

I agree with you that this city is getting uglier by the day, and the people in the streets are becoming more indifferent to the crime, filth, and other problems this city and its residents are ignoring.

Yes, many will say that I am negative, or that I should just get out of town or leave the area. Why, when I have been here for years?   For me, the bad vibe of this town has become very obvious over the past couple of years.  I have been attacked twice- one time at night at the port, and one time this summer at the Reserve down by Coco Beach at the end of the afternoon. This last time, not one person did a single thing as 3 or 4 guys tried to push me down into the street, and I hit one guy with my arm as I jogged by in order to back him off and yelled at him to leave me alone. I could go on with the details, but the attack became more dramatic, yet no one came to ask if I was fine, or to tell the guys to leave people alone. I called the police and was put on hold 3 times for 10 minutes. Then, they ignored my call when I tried to call again. So, I decided to go to the police in person around midnight to complain about the crime, the lack of police in popular areas and beach fronts, and to ask for more help or controls. I got the answer... "That's just Nice."

I could go on for paragraphs about the number of times I have been verbally attacked, and the attitude of people here who are so aggressive and hostile- not to mention all of our friends who have been robbed, attacked...one was even given a black eye by a dishonest taximan. We all have good and bad experiences wherever we go or live, I agree. However, there is a huge problem here that is getting out of control.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mollie-182222 - 13 years ago

I agree with you that this city is getting uglier by the day, and the people in the streets are becoming more indifferent to the crime, filth, and other problems this city and its residents are ignoring.

Yes, many will say that I am negative, or that I should just get out of town or leave the area. Why, when I have been here for years?   For me, the bad vibe of this town has become very obvious over the past couple of years.  I have been attacked twice- one time at night at the port, and one time this summer at the Reserve down by Coco Beach at the end of the afternoon. This last time, not one person did a single thing as 3 or 4 guys tried to push me down into the street, and I hit one guy with my arm as I jogged by in order to back him off and yelled at him to leave me alone. I could go on with the details, but the attack became more dramatic, yet no one came to ask if I was fine, or to tell the guys to leave people alone. I called the police and was put on hold 3 times for 10 minutes. Then, they ignored my call when I tried to call again. So, I decided to go to the police in person around midnight to complain about the crime, the lack of police in popular areas and beach fronts, and to ask for more help or controls. I got the answer... "That's just Nice."

I could go on for paragraphs about the number of times I have been verbally attacked, and the attitude of people here who are so aggressive and hostile- not to mention all of our friends who have been robbed, attacked...one was even given a black eye by a dishonest taximan. We all have good and bad experiences wherever we go or live, I agree. However, there is a huge problem here that is getting out of control.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nodel-185297 - 13 years ago

Lots of hoodlums at Place Massena and further on the way to the Gare Routière near the foutains... When 3 guys want your sunglasses, just give them unless you attend krav maga classes for 10 years, that's the only advice I can give you.

Use these hidden travel belts under your pants too...