DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Nice- Digne chemin de fer

Posted by Andrew.Wilk - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 14 years ago

Why don't you go all the way to Digne?   It's a pretty little  watering hole, very friendly people (my experience) and a fascinating geological site, with a National Park, Museum & lovely walks: they found dinosaurs here and in the museum there are giant annonites & other fossils.  Well worth putting up with the bumpy ride, and lovely villages and views on  the way.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 14 years ago

I took a few pictures of Entreveaux last time I was there. They're not very good, but it may give you some idea of the place. We really enjoyed ourselves, and the lunch was most enjoyable too! You can see the pictures by clicking here.

Andrew, give us a shout next time you're in Nice - we should catch up again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

Concerning parking for the Chemin de Fer de Provence...

The car park (mentioned earlier) which is opposite the station in Nice is a pay and display which, if it hasn't changed in the last year or so, has a max stay of 4 hours. It is, however, free on Sundays.

If you want to travel on any other day, you can park up on the street close to the lycée at Parc Impérial for free and then jump on the train from the bus shelter style "train stop" opposite the rear entrance of the lycée. It must be about the second or third stop out of the station...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andrew.Wilk - 14 years ago

Many Thanks.! As always, Anglo-infoers know everything worth knowing!

Andrew

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 14 years ago

The only place I am certain I know is Entreveaux which is a walled medievil town and fort and well worth a look. There is also a motorbike musem their and a nice track walk outside the drawbridge at the back of the town.

Collie21

hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

...and while am at it, you'll find some more information on the steam train itself here:

http://perso.club-internet.fr/dandesme/

While the official site for Chemins de Fer de aprovence (which runs the Train des Pignes) is here:

http://www.trainprovence.com/**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

The steam version (train dating from 1909) of the Petit Train des Pignes is seasonal, running from May to October on Sundays.**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by SJ-190944 - 14 years ago

I have heard about a steam train that goes along this route - is this the same thing?  I have a son who is mad about trains and would love to go for a ride on one.  Of course, he'd love to go on a TGV, too, if anyone knows of any nice, relatively short trips.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 14 years ago

I think there's a gated/fenced pay parking just oposite the chemin de fer station. Otherwise, if you don't mind a short walk, you can park in the covered secure parking at the main Nice station - central.

And Entrevaux is very pretty (touristy, of course) with a lovely walk to the fortress at the top beside the bizarre "Fan rock" - fabulous views! Lots of little restaurants. (There's an article here).

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

Does anyone know if there is any relatively secure parking near the Nice end of the line?