DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Nightmare Neighbour, please help!

Posted by Vics - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Vics - 13 years ago

Well in all the times I have called the Police at night, including after I was mugged and the people who mugged me were standing about 15 feet away going through the bags they had stolen, the only response I have ever had has been "Come in tomorrow and make a formal complaint". When I worked in a bar and we had problems they used to come out but then tell us it was the bars fault as people are only agressive after alcohol. I'm sure they do the best they can but the number of horror stories I've heard about both tourists and locals being mugged, attacked, robbed etc without adequate follow up from the local Police leaves me wondering.Vics x

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

It is disturbing that the police did not come, since telling them that someone is breaking down the front door at 4 am is hardly just a complaint!

Does this mean the Nice police have a policy of not bothering about break-in attempts?

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by SJ-190944 - 13 years ago

Very sad about the police not coming when called out at night, but good news that you have succeeded in your appeal to the owner of the apartment.  Well done for perservering - many people would just sit at home complaining and doing nothing actively to solve the problem, waiting for someone else to do it.

Sorry no image available

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the help, I spent the day on the phone to my agency, the syndic and the police yesterday trying to sort the whole thing out. The police thanked me for reporting it but I can't make an official complaint as I am not the owner of my appartment or the Syndic. The Syndic sent a repair man this morning but despite me calling them 8 times yesterday they failed to understand the door needs replacing and sent a man to patch it up, I'll be chasing them up today! The good news is that we all complained together to the owner of the appartment who has agreed to pay for the door and who is evicting the nightmare neighbour this week! Result for the good guys!

These people are definitely "friends" and I use the term loosely of this girl, they were calling her name as they smashed in the door, and as she sometimes lets them in and sometimes ignores them, this is apparantly their way of complaining! My neighbours did call the police at the time, but if you've ever had to make a complaint at night you'll know that they nearly always tell you to come in the next day to make a report and very rarely do they intervene straight away, sad but true.

Thanks again everyone!
Vics

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

For the door it is a matter for the police, insurance company and the Syndic.  It is not directly the responsibility of the girl or the owner, even if the break-in would not have happen had she not been there.

Have you spoken to the girl? It doesnt seem as the breakers are friends, or she would have opened the door to them.

I am surprised nobody called the police when the break-in happened.

Tony

Sorry no image available

That strikes me as very good advice, me2003!  It's amazing how much difference it makes when people stand up to the "baddies" as a group.  Perhaps all the residents, along with the police can confront the owner and make him responsible.  I'm sure there is someone at the mairie you can go to for assistance, too.  I wish MikeP were not away as he'd have some good advice and would know who you could contact.

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 13 years ago

Hi, Do you live near Place Rosetti? There where a lot of french people talking about the door this morning at 8 am.

Also in my last flat we had the some problem with the neighbour.  The best action was that all the other flat owner together took action via the police.

In the end the bad guys moved once they release that they risked arrest and that all the block was very unhappy with them.

Sorry no image available

Yes I think so too, I will be reporting it today, and have just let the Syndic know, but as we have entered the dreaded holiday month, I don't think they'll do anything straight away and I'm obviously worried about people coming and going in the building. Would just like the landlord of her flat to take some responsibility as he lives in the same street and knows exactly what's going on, but refuses to help usVics x

Sorry no image available

Surely this is something the police could get involved in?  It sounds a lot more serious than just a noisy neighbour complaint.