DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Non -EU Spouses of EU Citizens

Posted by BM-194107 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by HandP-201870 - 12 years ago

We went to the prefecture one week after our wedding in NICE two and a half years ago, took my Bulgarian husband's passport, our marriage certificate and my carte de sejour and that was it - 10 days later he had his 10 year carte de sejour will all rights to work. He now has property and his own company here, and will probably take French Nationality in another couple of years if he so wishes, but as Bulgaria will come into the European Union in 18 months, and we have a baby due to in 6 weeks, it may not be necessary for him to to this. When I consider the enormous pile of official paperwork we had to go throught to get married here, let alone what I had to go through over 8 years ago to get my own carte de sejour (even with a British passport, it was weeks and weeks of providing evidence of income, employment, accomodation, medical insurance, bank accounts, tax returns, qualifications etc etc etc etc) I think that his experience of obtaining his carte de sejour was the smoothest piece of French bureaucracy I have ever witnessed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kalinka - 12 years ago

It's very annoying and you'll need to go to the Prefecture numerous times. One time I went and after queuing for about an hour was told that the machine that makes the cards was out of order and to come back another day! They could have put a sign up to that effect but didn't.

You get a card for one year and then after some more hassle and paperwork you get a Carte de Resident which lasts for 10 years. After 10 years in France, you have the right to remain and to renew your card. You can ask for French nationality after 2 years (used to be one year) if your spouse is French. Otherwise you may apply for nationality after 5 years of residence.

You have the same rights to work as your spouse once you have the temporary Carte de Sejour.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GemG - 12 years ago

I think it might depend on nationality, I know my Bosnian friend is on her 2nd or 3rd 1 year CDS but will get a 10 year one next time

Sorry no image available
Posted by poochie-197749 - 12 years ago

I am EU, my husband SA, he got a CDS for 10years, straight away. (PS, with no translations of anything supplied)

Sorry no image available
Posted by cristina_75-200498 - 12 years ago

Kerry ,do you know if it same for me ,i 'm married with a French ,and i'm romanian .I got one Carte de Sejour for a year and than i will get one for ten years?cristina

Sorry no image available
Posted by Keri-193684 - 14 years ago

Hi,

Well they will deliver you one for one year and after a year spent in france you have to do the whole thing again (I know it is annoying) but this one will last you for ten years. I don't know what happens if i die as we have a daughter who is french and was born in france so I think they won't kick my husband out? I really don't know, sorry. Well good luck!

Keri

Sorry no image available
Posted by GemG - 14 years ago

From what I remember from EU law last year, his right to live in the EU is based on your rights as a worker, in some countries you would have a right to have him with you even if you weren't married.  Everrything is based on your rights as an EU citizen basically.  He has to get all the papers etc but they pretty much can't refuse to let him stay (unless he is a terrorist!) although they won't necessarily make it easy.  I can't remember what the situation is if you die, I think it depends how long you've been here etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by BM-194107 - 14 years ago

Thanks Keri. How long is the carte de sejour valid for? What happens to your's husbands right of residence if you should die. Sorry, I know it's a morbid thought but have to ask !

Sorry no image available

Sorry one more thing,

You have to go there with your husband, he has to be there physically.

Bye

K

Sorry no image available

Hi there,

I'm french and my husband is new zealander I had to make him a carte de séjour. The only place you can get one is from the préfecture, I don't know where you leave. Here I give you the link of the one I went and it might give you all the informations concerning the documents you'll need. You have to be prepared to get up early to get there and find a huge  queue of people waiting for the same thing. To avoid going back there make sure you have everything.

http://www.alpes-maritimes.pref.gouv.fr/pages/demarches/_frame_demarches.html

Good luck,

Keri