DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Occasional Internet Access

Posted by mrbluesky-229427 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by frenchferg - 6 years ago

In the UK my broadband is with BT. I am opted in to Openzone - which means that others who are with BT also can log in and share my bandwith - so for instance if someone was sitting outside in my street - they could search for an Openzone and log in. BT works with Neuf in France and "abonnes" of BT can log in to Neuf Fon in a similar fashion - so when I was in my apartment in Antibes there was someone in my apartment block or it could have been in a surrounding villa who subscribed to Neuf and as long as they did not go on holiday and turn off their router I was able to log in to their bandwith using my BT log in - they were none the wiser and I was able to surf/get emails etc without having to take out a subscription in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 6 years ago

a 3G solution would be perfect. I would avoid the 3G SIM inside a USB key (complicated and limited to a single computer) and rather get a small 3G WiFi router. They are very affordable and you can put in whatever 3G contract data SIM or Pay-as-you-go data SIM that you like.
Send e-mail if you want more details.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mrbluesky-229427 - 6 years ago

Thanks all. Situation rather as I expected.Our neighbour may start to benefit from the occasional bottle of wine.
Mr B

Sorry no image available
Posted by Acme Decorating - 6 years ago

The library. Calm, free, good wi-fi. Only other option is a dongle, but the data costs are significant.

Louisa

Sorry no image available
Posted by GreenLeaf-314739 - 6 years ago

Ask a neighbour.