DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Opening a bank account

Posted by gofrance - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 15 years ago

Actually, that was precisely the branch I was planning to try. I'm glad to hear a positive report.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 15 years ago

Thanks so much. I will check that out.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 15 years ago

That explains it so, i obviously look like a down in the mouth thug. As regards generalisations being inaccurate, would you like a sworn affidavit to my experience????hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 15 years ago

It seems to be easier if they have no reason to be suspicious of you.  For example, if you tell them one of their trusted customers recommended the bank to you.

Also, probably easier if you look reasonably wealthy and trustworthy, just being wealthy and trustworthy might not be enough...

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 15 years ago

Opening a bank account in France is one of those subjects rich with folklore and anecdotal experience.  It USED to be every bit as mysterious, frustrating and nerve-wracking as some have claimed in this and other postings. 

However I've first-hand experience of how easy it can be these days - exactly as mike suggests : funds, ID and some form of residency proof.  I helped a friend apply for her account when she arrived in France last year.  We were in one bank and because there was a queue of a few people we went across the road to Société Générale - they spoke English to her (despite her very passable French) and set everything up in minutes.  She had to go back a second time for an "interview" with a sub-manager but from what I understand it was a breeze.

If you get hassle from the bank you choose, just walk out on them and choose another from personal recommendations.  Be polite and TELL the agent plus his/her supervisor that they have lost a customer through their inefficiency.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 15 years ago

I opened an account with Barclays in Cannes and first phoned from New York to ask about the best way to move my funds. Later I set up an appointment with the same person I had previously spoken to, who not only spoke English but WAS English. It was actually a pleasant experience.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by 12K-191823 - 15 years ago

>> And don't belive them if they say they speak english they never do!

A wild and inaccurate generalisation.

It took us about fifteen minutes to set up an account at the BPCA International Branch on bd Victor Hugo. Everyone spoke English fluently, just as claimed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 15 years ago

Don't ever think its going to be easy. I have been asked for attestations of domcilie, evidence I work (which I don't) even for my father in law to come in and hold my hand while they do the deed. Eventually credit Lyonais on Jean Medcin were kind enough to "Fix an appointmet" with me and the wife. But it took a lot of asking around and a lot of patience. And don't belive them if they say they speak english they never do!Colliehey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

See Banking & Investments in The AngloFILE for banks with English-speaking front office staff.

You will typically need ID (passport will do), a justificatif (a lease will do), and funds (cash, again, will do).

Some banks will require proof of residency, but that's unlikely to be the case with those who have English-speaking staff and are targetting the full/part-time expatriate.

Mike