DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

or existing chimneyFoyer insert f

Posted by poolman-188953 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Can anyone help with their opinion/recommendations for a wood burning enclosed insert fire for an existing chimney.  We/ve got leaflets on Godin, De Ville, and a few others but can't make up our minds which to go with.  Anybody got info re very good or very bad experiences it would be welcome.  I live in Haut Var and am also looking for a very good installer for this type of fire. ChrisHautVar

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Ok the RN202 is a left turn toward Digne and Grenoble roughly at Nice Airport. It leads up to the Alps and all the big ski resorts like Auron and Isola 2000. But the first 10kms of this road is either, depending on how you look at it, retail heaven or hell.

All the stores are on the right as you go towards Digne and you'll easily spot Godin, they're about 4kms. Drive slowly because it's a dual carraigeway and if you spot something and are going too fast you'll have to go up a few kms to turn around, then back down the other side and do a 'drive past' again!!

Also here are Leroy Merlin who sell lots of these inserts at about a grand. BTW Godin are AFTER leroy merlin, another 1km on the right, so be prepared.

One other thing, be aware that the fitting will cost almost the same as the unit. For example the cheapest ducting is E30 per metre, and the fittings for the top of the insert to join to the ducting are not included.

Regards

Mike
PS Any more info you need let me know.

Sorry no image available
Posted by poolman-188953 - 14 years ago

Thanks Dublinmike,  we were considering a Godin and your comments are very much appreciated as we were getting lost in all the bumff from the different companies.  I'm sorry but I don't know the coastal area very well, where is the factory, where is the RN202.  Thanks also to Penney for the info on Franco Belge. ChrisHautVar

Sorry no image available
Posted by Penney-180939 - 14 years ago

Poolman,

We have a Franco Belge wood burner which takes 50cm logs, and it is also fantastic. We had a problem here with a large open chimney that smoked ,and opted for this wood burner.  It heats all the villa we live in which is fairly open plan and never goes out ! It will idle for day's once it has a good ash bed.

It cost us 800FF but was worth every ffranc. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Just installed a big Godin, a Superchauff 695. I can't believe how fantastic these things are. I'm heating 3 very large rooms with about 4-5 reasonably sized logs pre evening 7-12 midnight.

I think Godin could be quite good as they have a factory shop on the RN202 and so it should be reasonably easy to obtain parts and most importantly get a factory recommendation for an accredited fitter.

There are very stringent regulations about fitting these things so make sure you do your homework as not all houses are suitable for fitting these. No part of the installation is optional, all is strict regulation. Insurance is quickly invalidated with a poor installation. In fact I bought ours second hand from someone who invested heavily in it only to discover it was going to be too expensive to fit it in their particular house due to the shape and insufficient diameter of the existing chimney.

While I've done our own, it's in a house that's been renovated anyway, but otherwise it's a very big job to install. but I have to say it's really really worth it.

Finally just to tell you that we are using a tenth of the wood we used previously and are getting about 4 times the heat.

Regards,

Mike