DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Out of control.

Posted by Chatterbox-190278 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

My daughter has just started 6ieme in our local college. She is 11.

Last Friday she had a very bad experience at school. The teacher and pupils had been joking around when suddenly the teacher decided that was enough, time to work. Someone said something, the whole class laughed, he got in a rage and started shouting, he used some French swearing then went into English, using words I as a grownup would never think of using. He apparently decided my daughter was responsible for the laughter ( she insists she wasn't and I beleive her) and directed the verbal abuse at her. He proceeded to write in her carnet de correspondance, asking me to teach my daughter to control herself and refrain from mocking his pronunciation of English and he told her he was entitled to "porte plainte" because of her behaviour but that he wouldn't this time.

She arrived home tearful and shaking, too shocked for several minutes to tell me what was wrong.

My child has never been disciplined for her behaviour at school. She is not one to draw attention to herself, especially not from adults.

My initial reaction was to appease the situation and acknowledge the comment in the carnet, that the situation had been discussed and that I hoped that was the end of it.

But having had feedback from a friend from her daughter who was concerned for mine, and having been given more detail and subsequently corroboration of the swearing and apoplexy by others as well as finding out this isn't the first time the same teacher had intimidated children at the school, I have taken it further.

The principal, deputy, class teacher and the FCPE want to pursue the matter, for which they require written statements from other parents - there have been complaints before but people have stopped short of putting those in writing. I have now done that, as has a friend, 2 others have promised their statements too and I have asked for other parents to do the same.

The College is going to meet with the teacher in question on Friday. Assuming he doesn't admit his actions, we will have a meeting with college and the teacher plus his representative next week at which point I will ask for support from FCPE and a friend.

It's at times like this that you realise that your command of French is still lacking.

Bullying is horrible, but this a teacher who should know better. Apparently teachers in the French system are extremely well protected in their jobs, it isn't easy for them to be disciplined for misconduct.

I am not a trouble maker but I feel very strongly that I do have to pursue this. If anyone has any words of wisdom or encouragement to share please do so.

Just venting. Feel better already.

Have a good day.

Sally

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chatterbox-190278 - 14 years ago

Outcome - the matter has been recorded as we hoped and added to the teachers dossier, we have to go and countersign the minutes. The agreement is that things stay within the college at present but that if there is any repeat of this or other inappropriate discipline from the teacher with our daughter or with any other pupil that all the paperwork will go to the rectorat.

The Principal was very succinct and objective, stayed cool with him when he started getting disrespectful and calmed him down. Have to say though, I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of her, what a formidable lady ( as oppose to french "formidable!").

It's up to the teacher now and finished for us unless he misbehaves and the dossier gets passed on.

Thank you Ellen and Legend, no doubt we'll have more discussions on school issues in the future. Have a good day.

Sally

Sorry no image available

Useful insights into procedure, thanks for that.

I don't think this in itself is a sackable offence - although combined with other incidents it might be now or in the future. I don't actually want (to be responsible for) him to lose his job - what I want is a written record of our complaint about the teacher's behaviour filed in his dossier as a reminder to behave himself and to stop this from happening again. ( An apology to my daughter would also be good). After tomorrow the matter goes out of our hands - I assume there is a procedure for this too.

I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

your written statements (addressed to the Proviseur I would imagine) have no formal standing in the Education Nationale process until they are registered as part of a formal avertissement.

As Ellen suggests, the Proviseur may prefer to handle this "officieusement" rather than "officiellement".  This is very common in France and what would interest me were I in your situation is to understand what are the tactics being deployed by the Proviseur.  Is he just taking the soft path, never intending to issue the avertissement or is he probing for further information "off the record" (officieusement) before declaring his hand formally (officiellement).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ellen7-187820 - 14 years ago

Sounds to me that the collège is going to try to sort this out internally. If you  mention the written statements, then they have to take them into account and this may have to go to académie level. 

It depends on how far you want to push this.

Of, course the principal may have a machievelic idea to spring them on the teacher when he is least expecting it or something.

If I were you, I'd ring them tomorrow morning before the meeting and ask

Ellen

Sorry no image available

What's going on here?

College phoned this morning to ask us to be very discrete at the meeting tomorrow and not to mention anything about the written submissions we've provided. Am I missing something obvious?

Sorry no image available

Dossier handed in with statements from other parents yesterday. Unfortunately still nothing in writing to corroborate the swearing in English - could really do with that.

The principal, deputy and form teacher met with teacher and his representative yesterday - apparently a little heated.

We have a meeting with all of the above at 10 on Thursday. Watch this space.

Sorry no image available
Posted by anthonyb-187880 - 14 years ago

had sim prob with our son;just started 6eme;send my husband,trust me it worked.........

carol

Kind Regards
Anthony Brophy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Claudy-188901 - 14 years ago

Hello ! my son, half canadian/french is 11, and in "6e" in a public college for the beginning of september, and he has lots of problems of adaptation, because it is not the same scolar ife than in primary school, but he also has problems with some teachers who are so disagradable with the pupils, when one is talking, laughing, all the classroom is punished as i happened during the english course recently, my son refused to do the extrawork given to him, saying he was not in it, but he as to do more afterwards, so I had to sign it and I dropped some words as well !... When my son is telling me what is happening at school I can't believe it, "I am not surprised that some children suicide or take some drugs", my son said, I got horrified ! ...Pupils aren't allowed to go to the toilets during the courses, and those toilets are very dirty, they never cleaned it it seems, said my son. First day of school, a girl pissed on her !... One of the teachers who is very respectful with children has been told by the principal he had to change of attitude !!!...For he is in 6e in that college, my son is excited, tired, needs sometimes to talk a long time before sleeping. He really tries to do his best, but he is disgusted by the methods employed, he is getting bored during certain not interesting at all courses, and if he is showing he is (eating his nails for ex) he must stay one hour extra, and I heard the rules are worse in some other schools !... So, I am not surprised teachers or directors have problems now sometimes in secondary schools !...I am near my son, listening to him, to his difficulties.......we use to talk very much, that helps !.....patricia

Sorry no image available

I'm just in but have to go straight out, will be back later. Thanks for the advice, helps me stay focussed.

Sally

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ellen7-187820 - 14 years ago

I've just thought of something, apparently the teacher admits he went too far but had to do something to stop your daughter's longterm "disrespect and troublemaking"  (how sad, a grown man not being able to control an 11 year old girl)

Well, I assume your collège has a carnet de liason/corréspondence ? There is always the reglement d'interieur  written in it and this describes the reactions a teacher can have in this sort of situation. Usually, it starts with oral warning, then written warning and goes up through detention to expulsion from a lesson. 

If your daughter really had caused this sort of problem then there should be a note from him right from when it started.  And if it had continued, surely he would have asked to see you, put her in detention or sent her out of the lesson (this is what I would do). All of these have a written trace (detentions and expulsions have an official school paper)

Ellen