DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Overcharged for petrol

Posted by lapen - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mk-407904 - 4 years ago

This is common practise so be aware.i have just had the same happen to me at Josselin and not knowing I cancelled my card on advise from my bank.They know this is happening but will not admit to it so be warned.This has caused me a lot of problems and will make sure i never use my English card unless someone is in the kiosk to be able to pay with chip and pin.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 4 years ago

Another point is that if you don't have sufficient funds available in your account to cover the pre-authorisation limit, the transaction will be refused. So for instance, if at the end of the hol you have £100 available in your account and you only want to buy £80 of fuel but the pumps are set to pre-authorise 150€, your card will be rejected and you won't be able to buy any fuel at all.

I once had to drive half way across France to rescue a mate who got caught out and found himself stranded because of this.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lapen - 4 years ago

Many thanks to those who contributed to my post.

The Eur 150 has now been credited to my account 7 days after it was withdrawn. I strongly supect that this is normal procedure at some petrol station in France, possibly those on the autoroutes. You need to be aware of this if you are making purchases at petrol station with credit/debit cards not issued by Franch banks. If you are on a tight budget or are approaching the end of your holidays and funds are running low it is probably better to pay with cash. Otherwise you run the risk of the last of your funds been withdrawn from your account.

The legality of withdrawing money from 

ones account that is in excess of the actual purchase price I will leave up to others to decide.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cetrange-643750 - 4 years ago

In continuing what Lovedacote was writing I believe they approved your credit card for a maximum of 150 Euros which it says on the screen when inserting the card. Maybe there was a mistake made during this transaction, that the machine forward the preapproved maximum amount and not the actual amount.

Contact your credit card company and explain and yes, get the ball rolling.

I don't believe it's a scam but simply an annoying technical error

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeaky-882728 - 4 years ago

It is normal practice in France. The correct amount will be refunded.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LovedaCote - 4 years ago

You probably put your card into a skimmer. Maybe, maybe not. They are very easy to spot if you know what you are looking at.

It strong>IS common practice anywhere in the world at petrol pumps to place a temporary block on a certain amount of funds ($75 in the US - maybe more now) in the bank account assoiciated with the card. This is because it takes up to 3 days for the station to receive the money & that petrol pumps are the easiest way to use a stolen card.

Saying that, it is a "hold", not seen anywhere but the banks computers and not a debit. You cannot spend this money until the station gets paid, causing alot of overdraft fees for banks. When they get paid, the hold stops and you can spend your money.

So contact visa, mastercard or whatever name is on it, then your bank. Do not rely only on your bank. Actually, I would cancel the card and get a new one, because if you did put it in a skimmer, then there will normally be more and more debits coming your way.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nissalabella - 4 years ago

With your receipt/ proof of purchase at the petrol station, go to your banque and point out that there must have been a mistake when the debit occurred and you don't accept it. 

BTW, this is NOT a common practice in France, there must be an explanation for the debit you had, bare in mind that ALL transactions done thru a card, visa, amex, etc... have a ref. number, so your bank can check that the 2 amounts are completely different;

Good luck,

N.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tony2101 - 4 years ago

You should contact your Bank....it's not common prcetice

Tony