DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Ozzies

Posted by angel-187474 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

Would there exist such a group as an "Australian Club" here?  I've been here one year (being engaged to a Frenchie), have progressed from one sentence French to Intermediate level (so I have made an effort one could say).  However;  I really just can't 'sync' with the French mentality.  I do so miss my fellow Ozzies ... especially those from the Tropical North - in other words; cool, laid-back, friendly folks lacking in any false pretensions but who are at least aquainted with the basic courtesies and an idea about 'warm service' and 'an efficient infrastructure' and ... and ....

Maybe I'm waving a red flag at the rageing bull here - after having read all 55 pages on the General Forum and coming across some rather disparageing remarks about my beautiful countrymen.   But it could proove entertaining ...

.. fingers crossed .. Ozzie Club ... pleeeeeeze

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 15 years ago

I don't believe anything is cheap here in France.  In fact, I really have to stop making comparisons because it drives me nuts ... everything's at least double (often 3X) the price that it is in Oz ... yet the average wage is somewhat similar.

My friends actually call me .. because it only costs them the equiv of €1.40 per half hour to call from Australia.

However, I've been checking out the discussion on internet computer-to-phone calls.  We now have ADSL ... there was too much of an echo/delay with the standard modem, so I'll give that a go very soon. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 15 years ago

heh!  Obviously I knew that....  but i had just knocked the poor guy off his feet with my over enthusiastic amblings whilst daydreaming of SCUBA diving off Townsville and I guess, I hadn't come back to France quite fast enough.

By the way, do you know of any interesting telephone deals to call Oz cheaper than standard FT?  I have a load of people I like calling (albeit in the middle of the night) from various drop zones in Vic and Queensland and my phone bill elevates accordingly.  Email is the obvious solution, but those guys don't seem to be able to get regular net connectivity but they do have cellphones :D

anyway... moff for an afternoon tinnie so catch you later

Rich

Sorry no image available

Rosbif, Rosbif, Rosbif ...

Only the tourists would buy those disgusting tee shirts.  A true blue Aussie wouldn't be caught dead in 'em ... I'd hope ...

Sorry no image available

Superbe !!!

Still can't find any of these elusive bladdy pies :/

I nearly had a heart attack the other day tho as I was bumbling around Juan-les-Pins. I literally bumped into a bloke who looked remarkably like Rodney Fox - y'know the guy half eaten by sharks.  This bloke was wearing a t-shirt with the face of a white pointer on it as well so as I scraped him off the ground, apologising, I asked him if he wanted to join me for a coupla stubbies.

He replied in greek gesticulating dangerously so I kinda took a rain check.....

arrrgh !!

Sorry no image available

For any Australians who may be interested, Nick Laletin from aussies_on_the_rivera@hotmail.com replied.  Here is a little of what he had to say ...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

“Hello Angela,

We're all over the place!

The club stretches from
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Italy to Marseille, and we try to meet up every couple of months. You've just missed an Anzac day pub crawl in Nice, and the next bbq maybe a combined affair with the South African club, probably on a beach somewhere, end of summer.

If you're looking for Aussies in
Antibes, they're all working on the boats (hundreds of 'em), and hang around Le Gaffe, Geoffreys Supermarket and Heidis bookstore (run by some Aussies), amongst other bars.  Find the busy pubs at night, and you'll find the Aussies.

Hope this has helped, and might see you at the next Barbie?”

You can email Nick at the above address and he will send you a membership form.  Membership entitles you to ... Free newsletter, updates and invites to parties, functions, gatherings, picnics, barbeques, B&S balls and cricket matches … and apart from that .. some refreshing Australian spirit  (and I’m not talking about Bundy Rum!)

xxx

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

I've just double checked the email :

aussies_on_the_riviera@hotmail.com

And it seems to be correct as I've had emails from that address, but not recently.  The guy's name is Nick Laletin.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Rosbif ... I just laughed and laughed when I read your input.  I think you know where I’m coming from.  It’s that bloody good old Ozzie ‘façon d’être’ that I’m just hangin’ for!  Also ... and NO ... I’m not ashamed to admit it .... a fair dinkum, true blue chunky steak PIE!!!   Rarrrrffff!   <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

“...private bar with white-coated stewards...” ... euh ... mate ... stuffed turkeys with broomsticks up their derrières just wouldn’t be at all Australian now would it ???  Have you tried out the Australian Outback Bar at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Antibes?  Pretty cool atmosphere, although they’re relatively new and therefore a little quiet.  But then .. I haven’t made it there in the evenings yet.  I was surprised with their authenticity – felt like a little slice of home, except for one thing ... I haven’t noticed Ozzie pubs serving pizza ... what happened to the beef PIEs ?! 

I still haven’t had a response from aussies_on_the_riviera@hotmail.com.  I’ll give them a call and post some details when I do.

PS.  ... If you ever make it to Paradise ... we just love our troppo musoes in the north.

Cheers!  Ange

Sorry no image available

If you find one.. I could murder a VB :)

I don't know many ozzies in the south of france, but I know a few up in Paris.  I am also the manager for a rock band in Paris, the lead guitarist of which is from near Melbourne. I know that there are a few australian bars in Paris, but I've only recently moved into the south so I haven't finished my pub search yet :)

Besides being a huge Australia fan (and I am considering one day heading out there to live for a while, gorvernments permitting), i particularly appreciate the Australian façon d'etre.

all the best

Rich

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 15 years ago

I don't think the place it is based necessarily affects where its events take place that much. I mean, we're not talking about an organisation with a clubhouse and a private bar with white-coated stewards or anything, more an informal association...

Sorry no image available

Yes, thanks .. I had checked out the Anglo Info files.  Sorri .. should have been more specific ... I was hoping to find something here around Antibes-Cannes.  Nice is a bit far.