DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Passport application

Posted by sdoyle - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Danonimes :  I had my passport reissued a couple of months ago at the UK Passport office in Peterborough and neither the form nor the photos required witnessing.  It was made quite clear on the explanatory leaflet that this was only required for a new application.  However it might be different when you apply outside the UK.

http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/_1_applications/1_renewing.asp

quote:You can renew your existing standard 10 year British passport once it expires, is full or is shortly due to expire. You will need a standard application form, your current passport, two, identical recent passport photographs and payment. Your form will not need to be countersigned (section 10) or the photographs certified if you can still be recognised from the photograph in your current passport.

I went for the 'express' service and got a 48 page passport. All the info is available on the website.  I called the helpline, where they went through a checklist, I made an appointment for 5pm, arrived at 4.30,  was out by 4.50, and returned to pick up my new passport at 10 the next morning. The whole process was surgically efficient and the people I dealt with both on the phone and in person were delightful. The only minor hitch was that because my previous passport had been issued in Colombia, they needed to contact the Consulate there for verification, which due to the time difference was done after UK working hours.

The whole thing cost about GBP 90 which considering the ease and efficiency, and that I avoided the hassle, doubt, and expense of sending my passport to Paris by courier or post, and being without my passport for the time it would have taken, was a bargain. (I admit I am a bit phobic about being without a passport).

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 13 years ago

It seems more and more countries are adopting the French system:

why do something simply if it can be made complicated .

Reinrev

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

wrong MikeP - even replacement UK passport applications when returning the old passport require witnessing (photos and form)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

This seems to be in respect of an Eire passport, but I am surprised that a renewal or replacement of an existing passport requires witnessing.  Certainly for the UK ones,  the existence and submission of a previous passport is sufficient proof of entitlement.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sdoyle - 13 years ago

Stgeorge,

I stand corrected, both the photos and form have to be signed!! Sorry for error!

Sarah

Sorry no image available

Hi George,

Its the appliaction form that has to be signed not the photos. The person does not have to be known, you just have to have idetification. Didn't think of the consulate rep, but he's in Antibes...too far...i'll go with the doctor!!

Thanks

Sarah

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

I was under the impression that the signature on the back of the photo was by someone already known to you ? If it's an Irish passport and a different procedure, surely the local Consulate representative would sign it ?

stgeorge

Sorry no image available

Hi michaelh...heard that's the case with a british passport, not same for Irish apparantly....been in good health since i arrived so no local doctor...about time i got one...

Sarah

Sorry no image available
Posted by michaelh-184806 - 13 years ago

I recently got mine done by a friend who is a manager in a company, no company stamp, just name position and signature.Any manager should do? Then the British Embassy in Paris sent me the new pp in 6 days, I was really impressed. Also I dont think your doc would really charge you. Would he/she?

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the feedback. A signature from the police, a doctor or lawyer will suffice.  I know none of the above in Nice but i suppose i'll fork out on the doctors bill.

Sarah