DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Passport Control at Nice Airport T2

Posted by msh-189697 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Barney Gumble - 13 years ago

I know, I learnt my lesson that day and since then I have bought a hard case to put it in. Problem solved. As for frustrating delays and queues well that's life eh, nobody's ever died from it. Those who bring books with them have the right idea.

Sorry no image available
Posted by peter57-190654 - 13 years ago

To be honest Mr Gumble  we see that sort of thing every day, people want to take so much they cram there cases to bursting point, the one day the zip had broken and I hunted round untill I found some rope to tie it up with, another time a lady had left the passports in the pushchair which go into the hold, they dropped out,couldn't find them, and they lost there holiday ie father mother and Child, we see loads of careless packing, so to anyone reading TAKE CARE

Sorry no image available
Posted by Barney Gumble - 13 years ago

I have never had any problems with Nice airport, only once have I been mildly distressed to find that my fishing rod had been broken somewhere between Glasgow and Nice; and even then it was more or less my fault for not wrapping it up properly.

Sorry no image available

Thank you Mike for your support, it is good to know there are decent people that care and understand before commenting, and with this sort of debate at least we can make people aware, of the work that go's on behind the scene

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Peter

I have every sympathy with you, having also worked at an airport as duty officer and in ramp ops,  I do know what goes on.

My gripe is not with people such as you and your colleagues,  it's with your management and the airport management who are too tight fisted to employ more people, or to invest in more efficient handling processes.

I have in fact taken up this matter of the unacceptable conditions, from a passenger perspective, at T2 with the airport management.   They have already acknowledged my letter and although I will not be able to publish their reply here (in order to comply with AI's Ts and Cs), I will give a short summary.

Sorry no image available

I think people should spare a thought to baggage handlers, we get 6 planes arriving within 45 mins, after that the baggage handlers go to the first plane, unload as quick as they can(in the heat) load aprox100-150 cases, then pushchairs then take all the rubbish away from the planes from the  incoming journey, then on to the next one, what people don't realize is from the time a plane lands, all that work, oh and connect the tug and tow bar and push the plane takes 25 mins, lets spare a thought for these poorly paid people  1050 euro per month, I know this isn't really the argument, but it is a valid point in order to get the cheap flights, I like many Brits were told the French are lazy, since working at the airport, I have to say they are far from that, just overworked and underpaid

Sorry no image available

I desperately hope that EasyJet are not considering dropping Nice, and haven't heard so.  They are dropping Nice <-> Amsterdam, and Zurich, not served from Nice anyway, due to a ludicrous 132 % increase in passenger fees at Zurich in the last two years according to their website - http://www.easyjet.com/EN/news/20040818_01.html - the whole item is worth reading.

For many, myself included, EasyJet is a lifeline to home (not home for me, but more or less) and if they drop the route it will revert to a virtual monopoly for BA, as BMI are dropping their morning rotation as from 30th. October, which means the fares will go one way - up!  BMI incidentally are switching back to the more efficient and less crowded T1 on the same date - I wonder why!

Easy might consider going to a less costly (= inefficient) airport such as Toulon, which could probably do with the business and would be great for those in the Var, but not so great for those in the 06.

Dropping the route would change dramatically the demographic pattern of travel between the UK and the Cote D'Azur - business and lesiure travel will be impacted and it will make this year's drop in tourism look like a ripple in the ocean.  I'm not losing any sleep over that, but would be desperately upset if they were to drop the route.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DeeGee-189138 - 13 years ago

Well spoken MikeP, we have used Easyjet's flights for the past 2 years on a regular basis, their summer service from Gatwick is particularly useful. If it were not for the exceptionally low fares our trips would have been  much less frequent. Judging by the number of people flying there are many who agree with us about the quality of their service.

I have heard though that many of their routes are under review as a result of high landing charges, London - Nice being one of them. Has anyone any update on what I hope is an unfounded rumour?

Our last return flight was delayed, by lack of ground staff to handle the aircraft, according to the Captain; as usual there was no info from the disinterested check-in people. I wonder why Nice Airport management want to handle EJ's flights like this - I hope Ray Webster really did a number on what they pay for Landing charges etc!

Sorry no image available

Whilst some of you are knocking EasyJet,  you might bear in mind that it is only because of them that BA and BMI were forced to offer low fares.

EasyJet unreliable?    In 7 years of flying with them (and the others) on London and many other routes, I wouldn't say they're any more unreliable than many other carriers, often due to circumstances beyond their control such as ATC, or inadequate staffing levels at airports such as Nice delaying their turnround. In order to keep their fares low,  they build in less slack time than the others, and are thus more likely to be adversely affected by delays.

Flying EasyJet is certainly more fun than the pokerfaced BA lot, and who wants a free cup of tea and sanwdwich anyway when the fares are that low? 

Depending on where you are headed for,  Luton and Stansted can be far more convenient and qucker to get out of than Heathrow.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wilcapon-188447 - 13 years ago

Actually I agree. Of you arrive late in T1, there is unlikely to be anyone in passport control !!!!!!!!!!!!

But last trip I was mugged outside the airport, and no police to complain to, so you takes your choice.

But in general I agree fly the flag fly BA often cheaper than anyone else.