DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Passport Renewal

Posted by leslie-179832 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 14 years ago

Lana,

Yes, exactly!! Mine will have only 3 months left on it when I return, so that is 1/2 the alloted time. what a pain. Anyway, will go and get it changed. It is 10 years old and I now look completely different anyway, so it is a good excuse to get a new one.

L

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Since you're a US citizen, it's not the US that would care that your passport expires in several months, but the destination country. Since you have a Carte de Séjour, I don't see how that would be a problem--unless you're returning via a third country. Of course, you never know if you'll be dealing with ignorant airline personnel, so you're probably justified in worrying about it--though I hardly understand the point of having an expiration date, if the real expiration date is actually six months earlier!

Some countries require that your U.S. passport be valid at least 6 months or longer beyond the dates of your trip. If your passport expires before the required validity, you will have to apply for a new one. Please check with the Embassy or nearest Consulate of the country that you plan to visit for their requirements.

http://travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 14 years ago

Thank you mike. I will get on it. The passport does not actually expire until may 2004, but I have been told I will get into a lot of trouble travelling on it with that limit on it from the US side of things when I try to leave. UGH...just like a parent!!

L

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

That's a consular matter, so...

Talk to the US Consular Agency in Nice, or the Consulate General in Paris. Contact details at:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/af/126/

However, according to a bulletin on the website of the US Embassy in France, "The October 1, 2003 deadline that all Visa Waiver Program travelers carry a machine readable passport has been postponed until October 26, 2004", so your British husband should be fine on that front.

The same website (which can be reached from the AngloINFO link above) also has a page detailing the new (as of April 2002) procedures for US passport issuance overseas.

Mike