DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

PC hardware upgrade problem

Posted by harpo-187362 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mark BB - 14 years ago

Just a couple of things spring to mind...

What exactly happens when you switch the PC on after you have installed the extra equipment.

1: Does the PC have any power at all - Can you here any fans.

2: Do you here any error beeps - Many PC manufactures have this feature.

3: Are you powering on the PC with the case off - Many PCs of cases(lid) switches that will not allow the PC to power on with the case open.

If you have any more question please feel free to email me.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

I agree with davidl that it is strange that you see nothing at all.  Even a device conflict would normally be visible through a message on your monitor.

Try this troubleshooting;

Put your computer back to a known working configuration.  From this config, determine what is the keyboard key that you press to go into the BIOS setup during power-on.  Some manufacturers use standard keys like F10 but others use different keys like F2 or a Ctrl key sequence.  Read your manual, and find the key that gives you the BIOS menu.Once you know the BIOS menu key, switch off your computer, open it up and add your second hard drive.  Don't add the network card at this point.  Power the computer back on and immediately and repetitively hit the BIOS menu key every 5 seconds or so.

Do you get to the BIOS menu with your 2nd drive installed?  Depending on whether your answer is YES or NO, the troubleshooting becomes significantly different - answer here for further instructions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

Thats a strange one. Usually it would still boot. Have you checked your power supply - its the only thing I can think off. It is maybe just possible (though I am grasping for straws here ) that the PSU is just capable of running your setup at the moment and struggles with a hard disk and/or network card attached.

I doubt if its the problem as neither componant should draw that much power but worth checking just in case.

Good luck and maybe somebody has a better idea than mine :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by harpo-187362 - 14 years ago

thanks for the suggestions but I don't think we have the solution yet!

It is the act of plugging in any additional hardware that seems to kill the monitor.  I'd agree that there appears to be some kind of conflict in the system - but what? and how to get around it?

Other ideas please!

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

A few things to consider...I assume your computer is somewhat recent and that you bought a new hard drive...also just add once piece of new hardware at a time don't try and add both.

Normally there are 2 IDE harddrive controllers on your computer...each one capable of handle 2 devices a master and a slave device. When you bought the computer the hard disk is normally connected to one IDE controller with an 80wire IDE cable while the CD-ROM type drive is connected to the other controller with a 40wire IDE cable. Usually the computer supplier cheaps out and only gives you a cable with 1 connector so you can't add another device and have to go buy a new cable. Also since all the recent hard drives ATA-66/100/133 and above need the 80 wire cable you usually have to go buy a new cable.  When you add two devices on the same cable you MUST set the jumpers on the back of both devices - one to master, one to slave OR both to Cable Select (in which case the one at the end of the cable is usually the master).

After you have attached the cable, power, and set the jumpers you should enter your BIOS setup and check that the drive is correctly recognized. Finally if it is not recognizing the full size of your disk there could be some limits in your BIOS and OS usually at about 32GB and 137GB that can normally be fixed by BIOS upgrades and the latest windows service packs but that is a whole different issue.

As to why your monitor isn't coming on...if there is a hardware error like a poorly inserted card or a conflict...sometimes the monitor won't come on. Usually it will come on and display a text error like can't recognize disk or IRQ conflict. Do you have two VGA connectors on yours, some motherboards have on-board video that could be getting enabled in case of a boot error.