Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Photo ID for travelling within the EU

Posted by kbrady - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 16 years ago

Ask if they will accept a certified copy of your passport along with a certifed copy of the visa application form, to prove that your reason for being without the passport is genuine.  They don't have to,  but they might.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kbrady - 16 years ago

Hi - thanks for the replies.

I couldn't get hold of anyone at the consulate, so I contacted the airline company to see if they could point me in the right direction: they told me that the only form of ID that will be accepted by them is a passport.

I also checked out the website of the passport office in Ireland and it seems as though Irish nationals need to show their passport to travel to all other European countries, except Britain (in which case other photo ID will suffice).

Guess I'll be needing that passport afterall .....


Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 16 years ago

I think that you should not assume anything when it comes to ID's and passports: I have worked for twelve years in the airline business (most of which spent in airports) and I can assure you that unless something has changed in the last ten years, the allowing of passengers within the EU to travel on anything from a driving licence to an out of date passport is up to the discretion of the immigration officer on duty and/or his supervisor.

If you don't have a valid passport or national ID card: I would not risk turning up at the airport without checking with both the Irish and French authorities, and preferably get something in writing: "I was told that..." doesn't always work on the day.

But do let us know how you get on or if you are given any rules that give another version.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 16 years ago

Actually, a carte de séjour should be OK, as it satisfies the EU requirements. However, in these times of heightened security awareness that might not matter. I suggest you contact the Irish consulate regarding the view of that country (France will welcome you back with the CdS alone, from experience).**************

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rouretan - 16 years ago

Carte de Séjour is not valid ID only proof of identity (like your driving licence).