DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

photostat of passport

Posted by jaaaine - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

First of all it's not a question of 'legal' or not, it's whether whoever needs it will accept it.  The answer is generally no,  depending on the purpose for which you intend to use it. It is very easy to forge details on a photocopy.

If it is for the purpose of travelling,  you would be unlikely to get far on a non certified copy, as the average airline check in clerk is not trained or authorised for anything that deviates from the norm, ie. passport or ID card.

The immigration authorities in the country you were going TO might not accept it unless you could prove that you were a citizen of that country, or at least had the right to enter and remain there.  In theory you don't need a passport to LEAVE most  countries,  but in practice you'd have a hard time arguing that point.

I recently needed a certified copy of my passport (not for travel purposes) and the Mairie said I could do it myself (hello .....!) but when I insisted,  they reluctantly agreed to do it. 

Since that experience I got copies certified by the SAP in SA and others by my UK bank,  just in case, and my advice to you or anyone else would be to get copies made and certified elsewhere.