DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Places to live for the good life ?

Posted by Rebs - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rebs - 5 years ago

Its looking like Vence for us. Many thanks for all your replies.

Sorry no image available
Posted by trae1107 - 5 years ago

I have lived in Vence/Tourrettes since 1988 and will continue to live here... I agree: Vence is great, big enough, small enough, quiet enpugh but with enough "life" in it. Also easily accessible to just about everywhere; If you look hard enough, in the L'Ara area for example, you can find a small villa with a pool within walking distance to the centre of town. As for the xeather - it's a tiny bit cooler than living actually on the coast, but frankly, that can be a good thing in the summer, and as Vence isn't that high, it has mild winters.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lescypres-873147 - 5 years ago

My pool in Valbonne froze on a regular basis and we had to get the snow chains out once to get down the drive way!

Sorry no image available
Posted by appletrees-321263 - 5 years ago

Re.. Rebs comment about the cold - I think the whole area a little bit inland has become very cold in  winter recently - which also seem long! Near Valbonne the swimming pools freeze over at least for a few days every year! Expect someone will say theirs doesn't though!

Sorry no image available
Posted by LeighA - 5 years ago

sunseapebbles has got it right!

Sorry no image available

Does anyone live in Mouan Sartoux ? what's life like there ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by df_france - 5 years ago

We recently moved to Mougins.  It's a super place to live, great amenities and well located to sea, airport, Nice, etc, etc. There is a rich cultural life, always lots on.  The schools (state and private) are great, but that's not a selling point for retirees!

Mougins just feels like a well run place to live, we are incredibly happy with our choice!

Sorry no image available
Posted by nissalabella - 5 years ago

Cold in Vence in winter?  We live in Vence and have a house in Cros de Cagnes as well which is being rented out, I can confirm that some winter days we have 2-3 degrees difference with Cagnes, but the air is so much better!  Also, to be fair, some days we get some sturburn clouds on top of our "baous" and it's look a bit dull... but, all in all, I would not change these little disagreements to the crowd and the "tourist" places on the coast...  To summarize, we are VERY happy to live in Vence, which I have recommanded already!

Cheers,

N.

Sorry no image available

I've heard that Vence gets very cold in winter, can anyone living there confirm this ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunseapebbles - 5 years ago

I agree with several of the postings. Valbonne did not do it for me or my husband and we did try! We were not impressed with Cannes or Antibes either. We agree that anywhere between Mount Boran and Monaco works for us. Ok - you have traffic on the Bas Corniche in the summer but if you are smart you never need to use your car and you don't need to travel to the sea. The views are breathtaking. That has a certain daily value. The trains and bus schedules are bliss! 25 mins door to door to the airport. No car needed. The real riveria is between Italy and Nice. The rest is the Cote D'azure.  I am not a fan of the cote d'azure. I love the Riveria. Not many people know this is the paramater. Also, you have the real Italian influence in the food and wine and peole as far as Nice. Of course Italy is only 20 mins away and who can avoid the ocassional trot down to Vingtimille for the staples and a pizza and a few fashion splurges? You pay more for the real estate in this area but it holds it's value and in the long run - in my oponion it works itself out on transport costs and quality of life. Visually, you are surrounded by 'Belle Epoque' and there is always something fun to attend either in Nice or Monaco (but I don't suggest you buy there).  Mount Boran, Villefrance, Eze, Beaulieu, St John, Cap D'ail all have their own unique charm. Perhaps Villefrance and Eze are a bit overrun in the summer but the rest are not. My suggestion is to come down and spend a day or two in each town and  get the vibe in the area. Valbonne is pretty to visit and you will find lots of expats but... that is not the french riviera experience is it?