DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Planning a move to Nice

Posted by gofrance - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 14 years ago

Thanks! I will take a look...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Seeker-184579 - 14 years ago

That all depends on what you'll settle for!!!  Property prices can range from $50K for a small 2-room appartment to $500K and more for a decent villa with swimming pool.

Take a look at the local small ads., for example here.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Sorry no image available

Actually, I had thought about buying property outright, but I'm not sure whether I want to do that. With the equity we have, we could definitely live a year or more, but I don't think we could afford anything unless it was in a very rural setting. I presume, anyway. What is the price range for a home in or near Nice?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Seeker-184579 - 14 years ago

I can't speak for the U.S. side of things, since I move from the U.K., but I would confirm from personal experience that principal residences are free of capital gains tax in France, as is any capital that you first transfer into France (within six months of a large transfer, no questions need be answered).

Even once you're over, if you buy and sell even within a relatively short timeframe and with a large profit (on paper) inbetween, there is no capital gains tax to pay if this is your primary residence.

If you have a large amount of equity and can buy a property here outright with those proceeds, I would add that your purchase will be made considerably simpler. Getting a mortgage or even a temporary bridging loan here, although entirely feasible, is fraught with tedious paperwork, adminstrative delays and stupid charges that are guaranteed to try the patience of the uninitiated, not to mention that of the proverbial Saint! 

Wishing you all the best for your move over here,

Seeker [

Sorry no image available

Yes, I had noticed that journalism had its own category, yet freelance writer was different. I will definitely call myself a freelance writer!

Thanks so much for all the information! It is helpful, as it all seems so confusing...

Thanks!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

As far as the writing is concerned, it's relatively simple: if you're working, you're working. You have to enter the French system (as a self-employed person, typicaly) and you have to pay French social charges and French taxes on any money you earn in France. There is no such concept as "casual labour" in France.

It gets slightly complicated by the fact that journalism is a "controlled" profession in France: you need to be appropved by the relevant professional body before you can be registered as a journalist. There are ways around this (you can be a "writer", for example...) but it's as well to know.

Your application for a long-stay visa will be greatly influenced by a) Your ability not to be a drain on the French state (income and capital willbe regarded with a kinder eye than equity here) and b) the likelyhood (or not) of your taking work away from French people. That's a gross oversimilification of a complex subject but, again, it's something to bear in mind.

Now's the time to drag out that Irish grandfather that either you or your husband have forgotten about, to finesse a way into becoming EU citizens, ideally... :-)

Mike