DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Plastic bottle tops

Posted by hope-186232 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

For a while now I, like many others I guess, have been saving plastic bottle tops - then a couple of months ago the urn in which I use to put them in Monaco disappeared - does this mean that the tops are no longer wanted for recycling/charity? Does anyone know where one should now put these tops or is the collection over?

yvonne

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by harpo-187362 - 13 years ago

The tops were recycled by a charity "Un bouchon, un sourire" created by the comic Jean-Marie Bigard, the idea being to resell the plastic and use the money to buy wheelchairs for the handicapped.  They have a web site at http://bouchonsdamour.free.fr

If I remember correctly, it started to run into problems a few months ago because there were problems in collecting the tops and getting them to the central depots.  I believe the company who were to do this for free backed out.  Suspect this is what led to many collection points stopping.

andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

I must admit that this pratice of recycling bottle TOPS has intrigued me for a few years.  So thanks to your AI posting I can reveal my ignorance and perhaps some kind soul can inform us as to the reason the TOPS in particular are recycled.  Many communes have blue-bins or yellow-bins for recycling plastic - i.e. the tops as well as the bottles.  Why do these not suffice?

Why do some places maintain depots just for the TOPS?  Do they have some special quality?