Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Plumbing/gas fitting qualification?

Posted by izzipaterson - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by izzipaterson - 16 years ago

Thanks very much, what a fantastically informative reply. Very much appreciated,




Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 16 years ago

In France, that sort of qualification would translate to a "Bac Pro" which is effectively a sort of A-level/apprenticeship combination in the anglophone world.

More specifically - your Bac Pro would have to be a CAP or a BEP which entails a certain amount of school work (in French of course because of the legal requirement for gas fitters to understand the relevant standards and laws) plus a certain amount of workshop practical of around 1000 hours.  That would give you the qualification of "TECHNICIEN EN SANITAIRE, CHAUFFAGE ET CLIMATISATION" 

You can receive full documentation on Bac Pro and associated industrial qualifications here.  Go right to the bottom and check the very last box for the qualification mentioned above.  I've no idea if CORGI qualification would be recognised but there is a possibility for you to ask that question on the web site.

Alternatively, if you want a chapter and verse answer on professional skills training and qualification equivalence, the best approach would be to take your career profile to the CIO and see a counsellor.

C.I.O (Centre d'Information et d'Orientation Nice Centre) 51 r Mar Joffre 06000 NICE   04 93 88 84 10

The CIO counsellor would be likely to send you to an adult training organisation such as AFPA;

A.F.P.A (Assoc Nationale pour Formation Professionnelle des Adultes) 208 rte Grenoble 06200 NICE  04 92 29 20 60

The training (or re-training/homologation in your case) MAY be paid by the government if you are declared as unemployed. By "paid" I mean that not only the costs of the course may be met, but that also you may be paid a moest amount to attend AND your Sécurité Sociale contributions may be paid!  In that case, you MUST be registered with the ASSEDIC and you MUST have a carte de séjour covering Règlement 1612-68 even if the Préfecture will send you away telling you that as a CEE citizen you no longer need a CdS.  Insist quoting the avove règlment and you will be granted a récipissé for your CdS which entitles you to the training payment (when it is applicable).  This is a really nice feature of the French social system where you can be PAID to re-train and will certainly put you in a good position to lauch into the workforce.

Good Luck!