DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Poisonous Snakes

Posted by dzj744 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 13 years ago

Our cat brought a small viper in to play with. I scooped it up with a dust pan and put it in a bucket and deposited it away from the house. It was not at all aggressive - though no way was I going to touch any snake I don't recognise - let alone any I do recognise :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Uma-195086 - 13 years ago

we are hikers-a friend of ours(male) was reaching for a rock hold-on and his hand landed on a Viper which obviously bit him. He did get quite sick but was released from the hospital the next day. Their bites are potentially dangerous for children. Your local pharmacy can best advise you. Vipers are small snakes with a diamond shape on their heads. I never see them. We have seen many huge garden snakes that are metallic in color and that is about it. A few have coiled up and hissed at us but normally they move out of the way before you arrive. Snakes are deaf so sometimes they don't feel the vibrations of your foot-fallsUma

Sorry no image available
Posted by dzj744 - 13 years ago

Thanks Tony.

Cheers

Dan

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

There is only one sort of venomous snake in the south of France, the aspis viper  http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ceillac/vipere-dossier.htm

It is not aggressive, and even if it bites it doesnt inject much venom if any.

The first aid is to make the victim lay down and to call for an ambulance.

On average 1 person dies of a snake bite each year in France.  Wasps and bees kill many more.

Tony