DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Pool Chemical Levels

Posted by ChicMac-188734 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I treat our pool with the 4 main components; chlorine, flocculent, pH & anti-algae.

I got a 'QuickTest' which measures chlorine, pH & Alkalinity - what does Alkalinity do?  I thought this was pH >7.0 but the pH measure was correct.  With a quick search of the web, it seemingly keeps the pH levels more stable when correct.

So how do you treat this?  Or do you need to treat this?

Rgds,
Chic

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChicMac-188734 - 13 years ago

Thanks for the info.

I've just found out the expensive way what it's all about.

When the pool goes a slight green colour, I throw in lots of chlorechoc to rapidly attack the problem (along with antialgae & pH +/- ).

The problem with Chlorechoc from supermarkets is that it contains stabilizer ie the alkalinity measure that I previously mentioned. If this gets too high, it stops the chlorine from reacting/working and is therefore close to useless. In my case, it was completely useless such that I could throw as much as I wanted without any effect.

Solution - empty the pool sufficiently to reduce alkalinity ie less than half empty (or full - you know the joke!).  Since the pool was only 1/3 full, I just emptied it & did the clean properly with power wash & concentrate chlorine spray.

What an expensive game :-(

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice cuppa tee - 13 years ago

Sounds like the manufacturer is probably using the term incorrectly to describe the strength of the buffer solution in your pool.

As you say, buffer solutions keep the pH stable. They are usually a weak acid mixed with a salt of that acid. Because of the differing associations between the metal ion and hydrogen ion to the free radical, they help absorb increases in acidity.