DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

possible burglers - La Colle Sur Loup

Posted by davidl-181802 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 13 years ago

Clan, I have no idea of who to contact about security services down here, nor the price, although in the UK it costs, collectively, around £8,500 for 3 large men with dogs, to patrol. The dogs dont make a sound while they are walking around, and are superbly trained. The dogs are very friendly to those it knows, and not so to others. The patrol starts at 3.30pm in winter, and at 5.30pm in summer, and ends at 10.30am in winter. The best thing about the service though, and the main reason we decided to enrol it, is because you are able to call them on your way home, and they then come and watch while you get out of your car, and walk you into your house, thereby eliminating those who try and carjack you.

There does appear to be another posting about 'security patrols in antibes' a few lines up from this one so perhaps you guys could link together and use the same service?

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by Clan MCN - 13 years ago

MSM2000UK wrote about paying for regular security patrols.  I'd certainly go for that!  What price for peace of mind and a good nights' sleep?!

Happy New Year to you all and here's to a peaceful and crime free 2005!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Potty4Tea - 13 years ago

Lizzy, completely agree with you about the treatment of Furry Alarms!  Ours are almost never left alone, and never for longer than a couple of hours when we are going somewhere that is just impossible to take them.  As I write, one is curled up on the sofa with the children, and the other is out with my husband at work!

Potty4Tea xx  Happy New Year

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 13 years ago

Im not sure if this suggestion would work in France, but it certainly does in London. Where I live in London, we have a lot of wealthy neighbours and all of the houses have cctv and electric gates, as does ours, however we have also taken to paying a security firm to walk up and down the block, only 5 houses on our particular block, whom act as a deterrent, and as they are all fairly large and agile, it deters most would-be thieves.

Admittedly we, and the neighbours, pay for it, around £1000 per year per household. for the service, however if you are unfortunate enough to be the victim of a theft, it is usual that you have losses of well over £1000. It is similar to insurance in that you dont think about how lucky you are to have it, until something goes wrong.

Just an idea.

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by lizzyborden - 13 years ago

Sure didn´t want to make the impression that a "furry alarm system" was the solution to the robbery problem mentioned. I have an electronic alarm system, but it didn´t protect me against robbery. Although my dogs were bought as pets and family members, it so happens that I haven´t been robbed since they´re here. They run free in our fenced in garden, but always have access to our house, and since I work from at home and have a family, they´re rarely left alone.

I personally find it very upsetting that people keep dogs here chained up for all their lives, as "alarm systems". I also find it puzzling that people let their dogs poop everywhere and anywhere. Mine poop in my garden and when I`m on the road with them I have poop bags.

Happy New Year everybody.

lizzyborden

Sorry no image available

Geez. Just read about the druuged dog! I`ve been here in the Valbonne area for a good two years and have been robbed as well as mugged already. I was shocked at the disinterest of the police: as I called them to report a man standing in my house in the middle of the night observing me and my daughters sleeping. They didn´t even bother to come. When I got mugged, they came with mug-shot albums.

I then got two dogs, which immediately remedied the crime problem. But the next lesson for me in "French law" is one that I`ll be remembering for years to come. My two females dogs got wooooed by Frenchmen (dogs), resulting in 16 alarm systems (puppies). The French police aren´t responsible for stray dogs eating through your fences and mating with ALL members of your family (including the homo sapiens). The stray dog owners informed me that male dogs are, by (French) law, allowed to "wander" and I should have my females spayed.

So, no matter how you try to get safely through the day here in sunny France, there are oodles of adventures. But a decent alarm system will at least make robber´s lives difficult and reduce your chances of getting nailed.

Having a dog is definitely a help, but there are no guarantees, as we see with the drugging of guard dogs.(They´d have to invest in sedative for my crew..)

I guess we have to accept the problem and do our best to protect ourselves without ruining our quality of life. At least there´s very little violence here.........

Happy Hoilidays to all, nevertheless, and a happy new year!

lizzyborden

Sorry no image available
Posted by Potty4Tea - 13 years ago

We would definately not leave our dogs alone outside at any time.  We have at least four neighbours with dogs that are left alone all day in the gardens.  What joy.  The poor things are alarmed at every movement, and as I do not work, I cannot go out in the garden at all without constant barking from at least two dogs, which sets off all the neighbouring dogs.  Because our landlady will not allow fences around her property, all the dogs break out of their gardens and leave their mess all over ours.  Our dogs, because of the lack of fence, and a greater respect for neighbours peace and quiet are walked for several hours daily in the forest.  We take bags, clear up mess, and clear up their mess, and everyone elses dogs mess in our garden! 

When the neighbours drive up to their houses in their cars, the dogs greet them, and quiet as you like, walk around the garden - no barking!!!

Please do NOT leave your dog unattended in your garden all day - and check your fences if you do, not much point having a furry burglar alarm if the offending dog is not on your property when the burglers call!!! 

Sorry no image available

lizzyborden

Sorry no image available
Posted by Clan MCN - 13 years ago

When we were housejacked in March of this year our Staffie was heavily drugged! Beware if your dog is outside alone for any time!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ex pat Bob - 13 years ago

The dog solution seems to work very well indeed. We have a french approximation of a fox terrier (cross), although what he is crossed with is anybody's guess,he just makes a lot of noise if he hears someone outside especialy at night. No one ever gets in if we are not here as a friend who just walked in as usual if the door is unlocked will confirm. It was my fault as I popped out for a few minutes leaving the door unlocked.He is not very big but a very effectif deterrent as well as a great companion for the children he is  very friendly with people except those trying to enter "his" house uninvited.

woof woof growl

ew pat Bob