DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

possible burglers - La Colle Sur Loup

Posted by davidl-181802 - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 31 to 36)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 16 years ago

If I hadn't already done so , at this stage I think I would have a suitable burglar alarm system fitted , even if it's only a timer to make the lights go on and off . Shutters even when closed can be jemmied open , so need to be reinforced by kits you can buy at Casto - experience tells one that its almost pointless taking action after the event - stable door and the horse etc.!stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 16 years ago

This sends a message that whilst the overall crime levels here,  especially violent crime, are low by international standards, there is a great deal of opportunistic crime.

If you lock your windows and doors properly when you go out,  the scum will probably go elsewhere.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 16 years ago

quote:"No idea whether the guys had seen neighbours go out so knew the house was empty or whether they just didn't care.  I like to think the former."

I hope the same. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by riffa - 16 years ago

I live in La Colle.  Week and a half ago a neighbour and I chased off three would be burglers from another neighbour's garden.  Basically by shouting at them and making a lot of noise.  They were c.19-22/23 year olds I'd say, short haired.  At least one wearing gloves.  There was a fourth who was waiting in a car, a black citroen, probably an XM (I think that's what it's called, one of the bigger, slightly older ones anyway).

Neighbour called the police, no idea whether they showed or not.  If they did it took well over half an hour.

Guy in the car didn't hang around but drove off when he realised his colleagues were unlikely to come out the way they got into the garden, ie via the road where neighbour and I were standing.  They just went thru' gardens to another road I guess. 

This was no empty villa tho.  The neighbour had gone out leaving windows locked but shutters open.  No idea whether the guys had seen neighbours go out so knew the house was empty or whether they just didn't care.  I like to think the former.

Bad news.  But I used to lock up everything in London too whenever I left the apartment.  And here I lock the door even when in if I'm working.  Wouldn't hear any entrees if people were quiet enough.

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 16 years ago

We are behind the cemetary. Its more scary when I think of what could have happened. Probably be worse tonight whilst thinking about it :( If you live in La Colle it may be worth keeping an eye out for people in properties you thought were vacant for the season.

Sorry no image available
Posted by marmine-187669 - 16 years ago

Where about are you in la Colle. It sounds kind of scary to me so would like to know more.Kind regards