DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Potatoes!

Posted by szozu - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by k UMGELTER - 14 years ago

You have been talking about Forville.. but there is also the marche des fleurs at Cours Saleya in Nice - there are vegetables and other food items there as well as flowers... There was a man that sold only potatoes and onions and he had about 8+ variety.. everything from soup to nuts on his stand.. still had the soil on them.  I never tried them,.. there was so much selection that I didn't even know where to start...

Post back and let me know if there was anything worthwhile.  My opinion of the potatoes here is the same.. no real taste.

K Umgelter

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Thanks, Leslie! I appreciate someone else eating their way through the different (and indifferent!) varieties!

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 14 years ago

Right! I am going to forville tomorrow and will report back to you withthe names of the good ones and what you can do with them.  Until then, eat rice :)

Leslie

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

Right!  I'm having problems sleeping .... so ... I can't help myself ...

Q.  What do you get when you cross a potatoe with an onion ?

A.  A potatoe with watery eyes !!

and

THE NET'S MOST INTERESTING SPUD LINK FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE REEEAAAALLLLY BORED !

Sorry no image available

Leslie, I normally DON'T keep my spuds in the fridge, but these particular spuds were living in the fridge at Monoprix, so I figured there must have been a reason...

Once I saw some potatoes with the soil still attached at my local supermarket and they turned out to be just as awful as the nekkid, squeaky clean ones!

Have you ever tried baked potatoes with any success?

As to what the different varieties are suitable for, that's what I'm trying to find out here before making any more culinary mistakes!

Lana

Sorry no image available

NOT SOFT

sorry.

Sorry no image available

Lana,

Rule number one when dealing with potatoes...Never Ever KEEP your spuds in the fridge. This will most certainly give them a higher water content and cause that mealy mushy texture you have described. Store them in a dark, cool (if possible) place in a brown paper bag with holes-ventilation...a mesh sac is good too. You do not want moisture to develop in the bag...you will get eyes.

When I buy potatoes, I buy them at Forville from the vendors who display them with the soil still attached to them. Another words, freshly dug. I have tried most of the varieties they sell there and have found success when I purchase them like this.  Another tip is to feel your potoes. Make sure they are firm and soft at all and the skin is not wrinkled or puckered.

Lastly, potatoes do contain water and thus certain types are good  for certain things. Get to know the different varieties and what you should do with them. it will make cooking and eating them more enjoyable.

leslie

Sorry no image available

Any tips for Cannes? I've noticed they sell different varieties of potatoes in the Marché de Forville, but I was wondering if someone had already found a particular variety and received satisfaction.

The spud du jour in my fridge is pomme de terre de Noirmoutier, varieté Sirtema, which I bought at Monoprix. Although marginally better than the standard red or white issue, it still doesn't meet my expectations as to potato flavour.

I keep flashing back to the 4,000 varieties of potatoes grown in the Andes: yellow potatoes, black potatoes, purple potatoes! Oh, the memories of potatoes with personalities!

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Alban-188664 - 14 years ago

Szozu,

Where do you live ?

Bio. potatoes taste better, but if you can buy directly from a "producteur", that's much better !!

I f you happen to ride to La Roquette sur Var, meet Norbert just before entering the village, all his vegetables are great, and he cuts what you want in front of you.

If you go to Belvédère, buy pollenta (corn flour) grounded in the village, you will make pollenta as you have never eaten before, etc..

Alban

Sorry no image available
Posted by angel-187474 - 14 years ago

Well ... I'm no great expert on potatoes, and I have remarked the same problem (thought it was just my cooking!) ... but one thing I do know, dear, is that if one is seeking satisfaction - one does not do potatoes ...