DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Prepaid mobiles

Posted by gofrance - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Mike V:

44 EUR cards are available from tabacs and some newsagents. If you want to track your usage via the net you can go to their site and after entering your phone number they will send a message via your phone with a temporary code to log on.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mike V-188564 - 14 years ago

TonyP,I have recharged my card three times and the remaining Euros were retained and added to the new card value. The recharge has to be before the time runs out i.e. within six months from date of activation for a six month card (Not eight months which is the length of time that calls can be received for all cards except the 10 Euro card). Mike V

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Thats right, the 44 Eur card is only for 3 months but it only costs 35 Eur.  You have to fork out 75 for 6 months.

http://www.futurclient.bouyguestelecom.fr/formules/carte_basic.asp

I was thinking of getting one as I still have a Belgian mobile number.

If you recharge before the time runs out, are any unused minutes carried over into the next period?

Tony

Sorry no image available

szozu,Do, please, tell me where you get the 44 Euro card from. I get mine from the Bouygues agent who tells me that if I want six months use then I have to have the 77 Euro variety. Mike V

Sorry no image available

Actually, the Large card is still 44 EUR, it's just that there's an even LARGER card that is available by recharging via Credit Lyonnaise or a bank card.

I do use my mobile to make calls--just not to many and not too often, so I do end up using up the minutes. They also have a Formule Spot which doubles your talk-time, however, the idea of receiving advertising via my mobile is appalling!

Lana

Sorry no image available

France seems expensive for mobiles if you dont use them much.  In Belgium a prepaid card lasts a year, so you only need to pay 10 EUR a year to receive calls.

When I was in Zurich, a prepaid card lasted a long time (cant remember if it was 6 months or a year) and you also got a small credit for receiving calls.  Since I was using a call back service most of the time, my credit was always slowly increasing.

Tony

Sorry no image available

Bouyges was OK for the occasional user but the cost of their "Large" Nomad card, which gives you six months to make calls
plus another two months in which to receive them has recently (17 November 2003) been increased from 44 to 75 Euros. This
is no longer such an attractive deal unless you actually make calls. I currently, have about 106 Euros of credit on mine and
65 on my wife's. This in spite of making calls to the UK (on several occasions) to try to get the figures down.
The card can now be recharged directly by calling Bouygues, but you have to be good at punching credit card numbers
into mobile phones.

Mike V

Sorry no image available

Bouyges was OK for the occasional user but the cost of their "Large" Nomad card, which gives you six months to make calls
plus another two months in which to receive them has recently (17 November 2003) been increased from 44 to 75 Euros. This
is no longer such an attractive deal unless you actually make calls. I currently, have about 106 Euros of credit on mine and
65 on my wife's. This in spite of making calls to the UK (on several occasions) to try to get the figures down.
The card can now be recharged directly by calling Bouygues, but you have to be good at punching credit card numbers
into mobile phones.

Mike V

Sorry no image available

"The money on a prepaid only lasts a couple of months, then you have to pay again."

That's the reason I uses Bouygues. With their "Recharge large" you have a reasonable length of time to use up the time you paid for and you can track your usage via the internet. Not being a big fan of mobile phones, I see no reason to pay a monthly "forfait" for the occasional calls I make and receive. You can still receive calls for several months after you have used up your credit. After that you lose your phone number if you do not recharge. Besides the tabacs and newsagents you can also recharge at Credit Lyonnaise cash machines.

Lana

Sorry no image available

Yes incoming calls are free but it costs more to phone a mobile from a fixed line.

You can use callback services or  services that connect through a free number.

The money on a prepaid only lasts a couple of months, then you have to pay again.

Tony