DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Prescriptions

Posted by Blondie-189560 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

The paediatrician has given me a prescription for the MMR for my youngest son, which is to be given in 3 months time. Is the prescription vaild for 3 months, i.e. can I buy the vaccine a few days before his appointment, or do I have to get the vaccine now and keep it for 3 months. I don't know what the shelf life of a prescription (or a vaccine) is.

Thanks

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 14 years ago

Sorry Tinker - why should I find a new doctor ??

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tinker-186005 - 14 years ago

Hi Blondie, give the persciption to your pharmacist they will order it a day or so before you need it then you can be sure it has been kept in the appropiate temperature,simple, when I order vaccines they generally insist on keeping them until the day of appointment. Tinker

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tinker-186005 - 14 years ago

Perhaps Humptydigo should try a new doctor?Tinker

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 14 years ago

My husband had to wait 7 weeks for his scan and I got the prescription for the vaccine the day before he was to have the scan.  Also our doctor knew that we have had a prescription for physiotherapy for two months now and did not rewrite it when we explained that going to St. Tropez at the height of the season was not on.  He also gave him a prescription for medication which he doesn't start until November.  It appears that prescriptions do have a long life.

Sorry no image available
Posted by English in Provence - 14 years ago

You can always buy the vaccination now and keep it in the fridge for three months or up to the date on the packet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tarquin-188748 - 14 years ago

The prescription should still be valid in 3 months for a vaccination but ask your chemist in any case.