DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Problem with a leak!

Posted by Iona-193607 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

The shower cubicle in the flat which I am renting leaks water onto the floor and has done so since I moved in.  It doesn't leak with after every shower but is a nuisance all the same.  The WC which is next to the shower room often ends up with a puddle on the floor because the water is able to run between the two rooms via a vent.  It seems that this was a problem before I moved in (I have only lived in the flat since April) as the WC has a permanent damp smell in it.  Anyway, the people who live in the flat below came to complain that the paint on their bathroom ceiling is now peeling off, as a result of the leak in our flat.  As my French is not excellent and the people below speak no English, I think the jist of the conversation was that their insurance would contact mine to get it sorted out.

Also, the agency which I rent from is aware that the cubicle leaks, as I reported it before, but was told that since I rented the flat empty then all small repairs have to be done by the tenant.  I dutifully bought a silicone gun and patched it up but this is not going to solve the problem of my neighbours ceiling!

Can anyone advise me as to who I should be contacting or what I should be doing to resolve the problem of the ruined ceiling downstairs.  Thanks

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 13 years ago

Legend,

your advice is awesome and you are the most wonderful contributor to this site without doubt.  However, the comment about silk camisole is killing us.  Everyone who defrauds insurance companies thinks these exceedingly rich compaines pay for new camisoles; they don't.  They make their full and appreciable profits, same as last year, and pass the increases to my policy next year.  Iona, please have the insurance fix up your cieling and buy your own camisole.  

Again, Legend, I know you will write back to say you were only kidding and that the comment shouldn't be taken seriously.  BUT!  people do take it seriously and everytime someone promotes this behaviour, someone else thinks it is less of a crime or social wrong.  It dilutes the notion that we shouldn't do this to our anonomous neighbors.  So, let us together agree this is very naughty indeed and under no circumstances would any decent member of society engage in such foul play.  People who do are loathsome, annoying and generally bad.  Whew, I hope that works.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Yep Sheila has it pretty much right. 

Only correction I'd add is that in the first instance the neighbours deal with their own insurance who will want to know your own insurers' details in due course.

Given that you probably have household insurance as part of the formalities of renting, you really have no worries and the smart thing to do would be to load up your own claim with a maximum of costs that you might reasonably expect to correct your damp WC, etc.

Of course, all of this will be "adjusted" by a loss assessor (possibly two of them) so do not forget the fact that your ultra-chic silk camisole was irretrievably ruined in this unfortunate leakage.

Bonne reclamation!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Yep Sheila has it pretty much right. 

Only correction I'd add is that in the first instance the neighbours deal with their own insurance who will want to know your own insurers' details in due course.

Given that you probably have household insurance as part of the formalities of renting, you really have no worries and the smart thing to do would be to load up your own claim with a maximum of costs that you might reasonably expect to correct your damp WC, etc.

Of course, all of this will be "adjusted" by a loss assessor (possibly two of them) so do not forget the fact that your ultra-chic silk camisole was irretrievably ruined in this unfortunate leakage.

Bonne reclamation!

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 13 years ago

your neighbours will put in a claim to your insurance company - best ring & let them knowsheila