DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Problems with a garage, need advice

Posted by snowqueen-191196 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by snowqueen-191196 - 14 years ago

Thanks Black Cat for the very useful addresses. I totally agree about not paying in cash but friend (who is slightly eldery and easy going) when asked to pay in cash, did so without thinking it through - it wasn't as if they were offering a special price for a cash payment either! Garages like that though make my blood boil as I am sure they wouldn't have refused to sort out the problems of their making with a younger, larger male customer.   

Sorry no image available
Posted by Black Cat-192495 - 14 years ago

There are consumer groups like UFC-06 and trhe DCCRF Fraud Squad (av Thiers in Nice) who deal with things like this. The Chambre des Metiers is also willing to hear complaints and sometimes mediate.However, without an invoice as proof, it is very difficult to engage a procedure. The garage will simply deny that he did the work and proving the opposite would be well nigh impossible.Whether it be a builder or a garage, my experience has always been that paying cash without a bill to save a bit of money (and it isn't always cheaper!) is a false economy.