DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

PropertyAre there still bargains to be had on CDA?

Posted by NadiaG-192314 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi,

I would like to buy a property but have a small budget. I'd love to buy somewhere preferably old, with a garden even if it is in need of renovation.

Are there still reasonably cheap properties for first time buyers in this region??

Thanks,

Nadia

Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 14 years ago

I think you're right, the best deals are rarely advertised and they generally happen through "bouche à oreille".

I have seen a couple of properties that look kind of abandoned and I am thinking of trying to find the owners and see what they want to do with them...(hoping they don't take me for a nutter!)

Has any of you done any of that type of research?

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

That wasn't our experience.  In fact the opposite may be more likely, that the owner has unreasonable expectations and the agent suggests a more realistic price.

I think agents prefer a lower price, because they are then more likely to make a quick turn on the property.

Also, agents dont mind if you want to haggle or make an offer.

As with everything else, the best deals arent advertised, so if you find an area you like, it is worth getting to know some local agents.

Tony

Sorry no image available

I suppose the moment a property falls between the hands of an estate agent it cannot be a bargain anymore because even if the landlord is reasonable, the agent will always try to push to price up. Don't you think?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 14 years ago

You have probebly tried the good old 'openmedia'. I think it's the best one.

But just in case:

http://www.openmedia.fr/search_form.php?lang=fr&portal_id=1

Andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I would think it is possible to find something for that amount.  Try this for some examples, click on "Annonces Vente"

http://www.mon-adresse.fr/pages/1_vente-maison-alpes-maritimes.htm

You will be quite some distance from the coast however, maybe further than you would like to drive on a daily basis.

Whether that is a bargain is another matter.  It may be cheaper than what you would pay in the UK, but prices have gone up a lot in the last few years.

Tony

Sorry no image available

Less than 150000€, and I am quite happy with the arrière pays as long as it's not really too remote.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

What's your idea of a small budget? And more importantly; how far away from the coast are you willing to live?

Lana