DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Question for Gardeners

Posted by szozu - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Drinking Tubes ( like you would have for a budgie or canary , but larger )and Water bottles with a ball valve are becoming  popular , as being more hygienic than the traditional plastic bowl - which is still useful in the garden for the birds to bathe in , especially in this hot weather . You need to find a system of fixing this on the tree trunk , with your bird table , high enough to prevent the cats jumping up on it !

The Pet Shop will advise you on the drinking tubes , and a plywood sheet with a wooden trim around the top surface and a couple of angle brackets from the hardware shop should do the trick for the breadcrumbs and other scraps you put out ! A wooden perch would be a nice gesture and don't forget that pigeons never go where robins are !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by LindaB-183836 - 14 years ago

you seem to know quite a bit!  we have a little forest opposite us which is very dry.  i'd like to put a water tray out for the birds and squirrels pref. attached to a tree trunk as we have 2 cats.  do you have any suggestions?  what is the 'drinking tube' you are referring to, and where do you get them?

lcb

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Thanks for the reply, but I should have mentioned that I'm a balcony gardener and what with all the pots and plants, there's just no room for sparrows--let alone buzzards and kestrels! And I've got enough to keep me busy with the seagull's pooping all over everything!

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Yes - I went to a pet shop in Nice and got the guy to obtain some sparrows - released into the garden !!. The budworm is only easily limited in its damage cycle by an abundance of birdlife - which you can assist with by installing a birdtable as soon as possible - what else do you do with your rest of baquette ? In these dry conditions a drinking tube will soon attract a variety of species , and they love the nuts thingy in a mesh bag ! Leave out bits of chopped steak for the buzzards and kestrels , which will keep the pigeons away ( nuisance and no good in the garden !)

stgeorge