DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Questions about Marseille this time!

Posted by GemG - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NadiaG-192314 - 14 years ago

I have to say, even if Marseille is a big city, you will need a car because the buses stop running after 9, except if there is a football game at the Velodrome Stadium!! And the metro does not take you everywhere.

Go to Marseille for a week and hang out near the Vieux Port, Cours Julien , go to the Marché de la Plaine, Go out in the evening at the Balthazar, la Caravelle, l'Espace Julien, la Machine à coudre...etc

Go for a drink in le bar des maraichers, le bar du marché...etc.Spend a day in le panier and go to the Théatre de Lenche. Go to the Calanques of Sormiou, Morgiou, Sugiton, Malmousque...etc.

Visit the cathedrals, la Vieille Charité, Notre Dame de la Garde.Find out if there is something going on in the Docks des Suds, (concerts generally)

Go to la Pointe rouge (there is even an English pub there, the Red Lion) visit les iles du Frioul et Porquerolles...

There is much more to do, but please do this and get a general feel of the city again. It's worth it!

By the way, go to Belsunce and the Noailles market, and you will experience the feel of a day in Marocco or Tunisia! And I promise, it is not dodgier than London!

Do avoid "les quartiers Nord" and "la Belle de Mai" and you should be fine.

Best of luck,

Nadia

Sorry no image available
Posted by GemG - 14 years ago

Nadia, I know what you mean but I didn't want to spend time applying for jobs in Marseille if my first impressions were correct because I think I'd be too scared to go out alone at night!I do drive but it will be a while before I will be able to afford a car; deposits etc will take all my savings.I would prefer to live in a city or large town because of the transport issues and because I think it will be easier to meet people there.I do speak French so that isn't really a problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ap-192108 - 14 years ago

Have lived and worked in Marseille for 5 yrs and only just recently

moved out of the city.

Don't believe all you hear it's unfairly judged  ( the perception), it's not like the French connection .

Just remember its like any large city only possibly a bit more cosmopolitan , in 5 years I've seen great improvements with projects such as Euro Mediteranean , the final completion of the tgv . I think you'll be surprised it's a city at long last on the up.

Just look under the surface , I miss it , the only reason I moved out

was because I got married.

Last think parking is a nightmare.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Paul_A-184148 - 14 years ago

I agree 100% with NadiaG and MikeP - Marseille is REAL, not like many places in the CdA.  Just look in any kind of local What's on and compare Marseille to Nice - Marseille will have about 5 pages of varied entertaimement to Nice's 2 pages of unvaried, narrowly-targeted entertainment.  The local culture is much, much more open and friendly than here too.  I lived in and around Marseille for 3 years, married a Marseilleis, and often go back there to se the 'belle famille'.  Its a great place!  Good luck in getting the job, GemG. 

Sorry no image available

Who's talking about commuting? you don't know where you'll be working yet!! You may find a job in Aix ffor example I think the step one is actually to find the job, then decide where to live. Is it important for you to live in a city? or are you happy ina a smaller town or even a village? Do you drive? These are vital elements that will help you choose the right place.

Also, do you speak French? I am asking because if you don't it will be easier to fin a job in Sophia than elsewhere.

Best of luck,

Nadia

Sorry no image available

I've been to Aix once and what I saw of it was lovely.  I quite fancy that idea, I guess I am just not used to commuting.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I've spent fair amounts of time in Marseille and in my opinion it is a greatly under-rated city, just as the Cote D'Azur is over-rated.

People are friendly and genuine, something rare to find on the Cote D'Azur, and go out of their way to be helpful, perhaps mindful of the bad repuation the city has.  Of course there are dangerous areas, as there are in Nice,  but to me that is more than offset by being next to one of the most outstandingly beautful areas in the world,  the Camargue, and close to towns such as Arles, Aix, and the REAL Provence.

Prices are lower too.

If I had a choice I'd live near Marseille any time in preference to the Cote D'Azur.

Sorry no image available

Oh, well, you don't necassarily need to live in Marseille then. Have you ever visited Aix en Provence? It nearby and very beatiful, perhaps that would be more suitable to your needs.

What kind of job are you looking for?

Sorry no image available

I don't know, I haven't got a job yet! I have been put off applying there by my visits to my friend. But common sense would suggest it would be quite a good option as it is close enough to my friends (Montpellier/Nimes) for weekend visits but more likely to have jobs.

Sorry no image available

Where will you be working? I can tell you if there are nice aereas nearby if you want.