DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Questions about Nice

Posted by NYville - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by NYville - 13 years ago

Thank you all.  I appreciate the responses.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lemanieg-181528 - 13 years ago

Dear NYVille

Re nightlife...no, most places are the same night in night out (except busier on Friday/ Saturday night and in summer of course)..depends what you are looking for..there's English and Irish bars/ French bars/ loud bars/ quiet bars/ live music/ nightclubs/ lounges etc.. In summer some of the beaches have one off dance nights...

As for gyms..the words nice and inexpensive do not sit well together in Nice...in fact the words nice and expensive also don't work in Nice as far as the gyms I've seen! I suggest you join the Antibes Gym and Squash Club if you have a car, which is really easy to drive to from where you are, and certainly has good facilities and an (English) social life as well..it compares excellently with anything I've seen in Nice.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ejh - 13 years ago

Nope, your laptop power supply should switch to 220V and work fine (but double check it first!). If you are using dial-up, then get a phone plug converter for a few bucks. Otherwise, no problem. My US Dell laptop is fine here. Only thing to change is the time zone :)

-Ed

Sorry no image available
Posted by NYville - 13 years ago

Thanks for the responses.  I really appreciate it. 

I do have one more question.  I have a new laptop purchased in the states.  Are there certain configurations details i have to change?   Has any1 gone through this before?

Thanks again

Sorry no image available
Posted by jivebaby-189615 - 13 years ago

To get broadband @ €xx per month, don't youe also need a telco service at €11 per month as well to support it?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 13 years ago

Oops, sorry, the link should have read:[url]http://riviera.angloinfo.com/search/forumsearch.asp?q=adsl[/url]I've just been to The Gym....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Doug-181340 - 13 years ago

Hi NYville,1. Around 39 euros per month for 1Mb ADSL access is about normal for this part of the world I think. I understand there are cheaper packages depending upon availability by operator in the specific location you decide to settle. Many of the operators ask for a minimum 12 month committment. Further reading about ADSL / Wanadoo / Tiscalli and Free on Google may help. Also check the AngloInfo forums here: [url]http://riviera.angloinfo.com/search/forumsearch.asp?q=adsl{/url]2. In order to use your US phone here, you'll probably need a triband phone. I understand that the US uses different frequencies (1900MHz?) from the rest of us here in Europe. Check out your phone's model number on the manufacturer's web site and compare it's frequency range to that of the main French operators (900MHz or 1800 MHz I believe). If it can operatoe on these frequencies and has not been 'locked' by your current operator in the US, then there's a good chance it will work. Even if it has been locked, you'll probably be able to find a friendly local phone shop that will 'help you out' for a very small fee.3. If you have broadband, why do you need nightlife ;-? ok, ok... that was a bit sad, but you'll have to rely on some other posters for an answer to this one ;-) I'm far too old :-)4. Gym.... now where have I heard that word before? 'The Gym' always seemed like a good name for a wine-bar...