DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Reality about the 2.50 insurance at isola/auron

Posted by me_2003 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

hi, this weekend we were skiing at auron.  my friend bought the 2.50€ insurance with the skipass and then broke her wrist.

emergency medical treatment bill came to 70€.

so we asked what does the 2.50€ insurance cover...and the answer is not medical bills...that is the skier problem..

basically you are only covered for transport...  basically nothing.

i think is it a waste of money...

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

me_2003

This seems to be going round in circles.

It was established from the outset that the E 2.50 did NOT cover medical care, but did cover the potentially very expensive evacuation from the slope.  So your friend wasn't seriously injured enough to need a ride in a chopper - she's lucky! I don't even know her but I'm happy for her.

I still think that 2.50 for that type of insurance is a good deal,  but it's not compulsory. Life is about choices!

Anyway next time you go skiing,  I hope you have better luck and no injuries and no helicopter rides!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

Excuse me for coming into this right at the end but where's the problem?

Your friend's medical treatment came in at 70 euros (which sounds incredibly reasonable as I got charged 150 euros for 'only' having seven stitches in my head. Had to make my own way to Urgences too but then I couldn't expect a free ambulance ride as I didn't have a carte neige, nor was I anywhere near a mountain).

Those 70 euros are to be refunded by the Irish government - through an E111 form I should imagine.

So what exactly is the problem?

The EUR 2.50 that your friend lost or the fact that you didn't get to go in a helicopter?

Why don't you take a trip to one of the companies in the area who provide the service? In exchange for some money (I believe it to be slightly over two euros fifty, maybe even as much as three euros but would be surprised if it's more) you are guaranteed a ride in a helicopter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 14 years ago

mike...

...the point is there was no refund of the 70 euros for auron...

...the irish government will refund this...

Sorry no image available

My advice to anyone who thinks this type of insurance is a waste of money is don't take it. 

Let those who want it pay so that they can benefit if they should be unfortunate enough to need it. That way the rescue teams don't have to waste their valuable resources and risk their lives for those who know better!  Life is all about choices.

If you think you've wasted E 2.50,  send me the E 70 you got back from the insurance and I'll refund you the 'wasted' 2.50.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JHM - 14 years ago

Top tip to avoid insurance/rescue expenses: don't fall!

JHM

Sorry no image available
Posted by veroniek-192657 - 14 years ago

Hi, I am sorry you "wasted" your € 2.50 !

I actually tore my knee ligaments last sunday at Isola and had to be transported from the slope to the medical center and definitely got my money's worth!!! This now cost me only € 2.50, otherwise it would have cost me € 350.00!!!

How lucky am I :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by hope-186232 - 14 years ago

If you pay with your credit card and its gold you would be covered for all.yvonne

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

OK, recovery of medical costs seems to have been addressed - if your friend was skiing without health cover then, well - what can we say?

Regarding the evacuation costs/cover : seems a case of sour grapes to me ...  kind of like "I paid my insurance and I didn't even get to ride in a helicopter".  That is the nature of insurance - swings and roundabout.  Move on! Get over it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 14 years ago

mikep...if you get injuryed on the SLOPES you have to get someone (or hope someone) will get help...they do not search for you

there is on search on the slopes... 

also the helicopter transport should be covered by normal medical insurance...if i broke my back in the shower of the hotel in ski resort I would have a free ride in a helicopter...if i broke my back on the ski slope then i would have to pay for my ride on a helicopter???

the 2.50€ is a waste...

Sorry no image available

... and how can they 'rescue' you if they haven't first 'searched' and found you?