DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Refried Beans (tinned)

Posted by Calypso-188774 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sydneysider-189602 - 14 years ago

You could try Auchan if there is one close by. We have a large selection of the El Paso range including the refried beans

cjn

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

theresponsibleadult: Cap 3000 is the big mall at St-Laurent du Var. The GL food hall is just to your right when you go in through the main entrance.

In recent months it has really beefed up its range of "foreign" delicacies, including a lot of Spanish, Italian and middle-eastern foodstuffs (although the last-named are spread all over the place in the "foreign", Halaal and Kosher sections...), and especially, Anglo-American.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Ribena: UK price  GBP 2.56

Same bottle at Geoffrey's : EUR 13.50 (= GBP 9.30)

Sorry no image available
Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - 14 years ago

CB: I did not mean to be snarky to you about Geoffreys, sorry if I came across that way. I too know someone who worked there until very recently, but when I enquired a few weeks ago about the prices on some stuff to make sushi (another passion of mine), the answer had me reaching for the smelling salts.  Then a posting online at good old AI got me the answers that I was looking for.  Not a lot of time involved, no driving around and much better prices!  (Marche Mondial) In my personal food requirements and desires, the TexMex stuff is lower priority than far east asian, so I'm not in any tearing hurry and I am most assuredly not willing to pay high prices.

StGeorge:  Drat! I was just in GL-Massena and didn't think to check out the food hall.  Thanks for the info, though, since that is a place I am near regularly.

Mike: Where is GL-Cap3000? I'm still learning my way around these parts and have not come across that place.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Galeries Lafayettes Food Hall - Cap 3000 !!

(Refried beans and pinto beans in case you want to refry your own)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Galeries Lafayettes Food Hall - Place Massena , Nice !!stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 14 years ago

TRA - You can either pay the price in Geoffrey's or spend it on gas/petrol/time trying to find it elsewhere.

The bottom line is that Geoffrey's has the goods - and the prices have come down a lot in recent times, and the staff are much friendlier. (Yes, I do have a friend that works there!). Why don't you phone them to see if they have the goods in stock? - and ask the price? -I tried phoning Carrefour for help once..., and comparing with Eurobrits, I've found the prices to be cheaper, and Eurobrits didn't even answer poor Calypso's enquiry.

CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - 14 years ago

Kidney beans are not what you need for making refried beans, at least not TexMex style.  For that you need pinto beans, thought I agree with the principle that making them is not difficult - I have done it many times in the past.

CB: Thanks for the info on the stuff being at Geoffrey's, but I'm not wealthy enough to shop there or at least I am not desperate enough to pay those kind of prices and I doubt I ever will be.

Sorry no image available
Posted by cgraf - 14 years ago

Why not make them yourself? You can find kidneybeans anywhere, and it's probably healthier than the tinned stuff:

LIGHT REFRIED BLACK BEANS C.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 14 years ago

Guess what? - Refried Beans andf Jalapenos both available in Geoffrey's.CB