DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Remedy for opaque drinking glasses

Posted by CaroW-190284 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ouch that hurt-214958 - 11 years ago

You don't need to go to St Max to buy it, you can get it in local PP or building merchants, even Géant, so the question Did it work?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Earthling-217786 - 11 years ago

fvo:quote:Why is acid always added to water, and not the reverse? A large amount of heat is released when strong acids are mixed with water. Adding more acid releases more heat. If you add water to acid, you form an extremely concentrated solution of acid initially. So much heat is released that the solution may boil very violently, splashing concentrated acid out of the container! If you add acid to water, the solution that forms is very dilute and the small amount of heat released is not enough to vaporize and spatter it. So Always Add Acid to water, and never the reverse. id=quote>

Sorry no image available
Posted by tugg100 - 11 years ago

Dublin Mike is spot on.....Its freely available unlike England. Also you can use HCL as a PH minus for your pool, far better than granuals as it disperses quickly with water and will not eat out you tile grout not to mention save you a fortune on pool chemicals. Take heed of Mikes warning on precautions, EYES..... BREATHING FUMES, it mixes freely with water unlike Sulphuric acid.T G

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Chicken - 11 years ago

Won't it be cheaper just to buy new ones?OC

Sorry no image available
Posted by fvo-205381 - 11 years ago

Isn't there some rule about adding water to the acid and not the other way around? Otherwise it spits.

I only ask as I've forgotten which way round it is from my silversmithing days and work with sulphuric acid!


Sorry no image available
Posted by CaroW-190284 - 13 years ago

Thank you everybody for your tips.  I will have to resort to the acid.  When I can get the time to go over to Ste Maxime and buy some, I will let you know how I get on.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 13 years ago

And now that it's morning again the cold light of day reminds me to remind you to use rubber gloves, safety glasses, do it in a very well ventilated area, preferably outside and where you have water on tap for rinsing. Oh and not open sandals.In case this frightens you half to death, don't worry, so long as you are careful with your eyes there's no problem, any little splashes on your skin soon make themselves known but disappear with a little water.Not that you have this great stuff, here's another trick for it. I use it mostly for terraces and floors, marble, stone, concrete & Terracotta.When you've finished with your glasses and the bucket, try pouring a litre onto some ugly looking stained surface, brush it around for 20 secs and wash it off. You'll be amazed.Have fun.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 13 years ago

A plastic bucket! Plastic is impervious to acid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by CaroW-190284 - 13 years ago

Dublinmike - what should I put the hydrochloric acid in so as to be able to dunk the glasses?  Would a glass bowl be better than plastic?  I don't want it to corode away in front of my eyes!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 13 years ago

CAroW if you try the acid, don't let the glasses linger in it. Just dunk them and wait 10-20 seconds then rinse, if not fully clean do it again.