DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

removing spots & marks from clothing

Posted by bino - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Could anybody please advise the (obviously) single guy how best to remove marks, in particular red wine and sauces, from light coloured clothes. Any good ideas or product recomendations from the knowledgable would be helpful. Thanks

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bino - 14 years ago

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'll try these ideas out.

regards

bino

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

White wine works well on fresh red wine and food stains.  Very useful if the stain happens at a restaurant.Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by BLUEFIN-193689 - 14 years ago

I also would endorse "Vanish" - amazing stuff.  I had stains from a Banana Plant on a new T-shirt and just by soaking overnight in Vanish (mixed with warm water) removed any hint of the dark brown stains completely.bluefin

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

I forgot to mention--the fresher the stain, the easier it is to get out. It often pays to drop what you're doing and rush to the bathroom for a bit of soap, water and elbow grease to avoid grief later.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

If you go to a droguerie or Schlecker, they have a whole gamut of products, such as Dr. Beckmann, for removing different types of stains. There is also an oxy-cleaner called Vanish now available in supermarkets that you use with your laundry detergent. For WHITE cotton clothes you can pour on a small amount of straight bleach directly on the stain and rub, otherwise soaking in water with bleach ought to do it. Be sure to rinse when you're done or do the laundry immediately afterward, otherwise you might end up with a hole instead of a stain.

I've never done it myself, but the last ditch method for removing oil stainsfrom a beloved garment, is to pour oil all over the item and soak--voila! No more unsightly stain!

BTW, I am a stain expert--getting them ON my clothes, not necessarily getting them OUT!

Lana