DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Rental contract query re 'other charges'

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

It seems to be common, almost standard, practice that the agencies find some pretext to keep the two months deposit.  This is why most people simply don't pay the last two months rent - technically illegal I suppose.

I was involved in a case where an agency through whom I'd rented refused to return my deposit on the grounds that the living room needed repainting (which was true as a result of a smoky chimney) and that the owner had said I'd have to pay for this (which was a lie).  He'd agreed with me to repaint, after 5 years, at his cost, as he considered it was 'fair wear and tear'.

The owner of the agency screeched at me like an old fishwife when I confronted her with the lie,  but they backed down.  The owner of the house then sued them for acting fraudulently as they'd ripped him off over the years.  So there are estate agency stories with a happy ending!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

Agency fees are not reembursed, only caution is when the state of the rented place is the same as in the beginning of the renting period.

Unfortunately it is not the first time I hear that agencies do not pay back the caution. Here is what a lawyer told me she herself is doing in such cases:

Prior to moving out, she is not paying the last month's rent. Although this is illegal, noone pursues this as the court and lawyer fees are too high in relation to the lost rent.

This of course means also that agencies do not pay back cautions because they know that their clients will not pursue this due to the high costs... Sad, but true.

Thanks for the warning, Max!

Sorry no image available
Posted by maxdido - 13 years ago

I just had a bad experience with an agency called Gestion Cassini, here in Nice; they didnt reimburs me the two months deposit I had paid when I took the apartment (in addition to the agency fee: one more month) claimimg that they had miscalculated some service charges during the years I stayed in the apartment.I dont want to worry you, but I have a feeling that "some" agencies try to act not very ethically here in Nice. Watch out. MaxMax

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

It's funny that you mention that. I just return from signing the rentral contract of our new home and surprisingly, it says that we'd have to pay not only EDF and water but also the ordures. Remebering your post I asked the agent whether that wasn't illegal but of course she said no ;-)

I know that there are some members here that work in real estate, could somebody please enlighten us? ;-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the rental contract is direct with the owner - no agent involved (I'm happy to say!)